Archaeological Museum of Istre

 

w skrócie

The Archaeological Museum of Istria is nowadays organized as the Archaeological Department (consisting of the Prehistoric, Roman, Medieval and Modern Age Collections, with a Numismatic Collection and an Underwater Archaeology Collection in the founding stage). Except in the main building, the Museum has also dislocated collections that are located in the amphitheater at Pula, the temple of Augustus, the Franciscan monastery and at Nesactium.
The amphitheater
© Archeological Museum Istre
Logo: Archaeological Museum of Istre

Archaeological Museum of Istre

w szczególach

The collection of the Museum at Pula was started during the first half of the 19th century by collecting stone monuments in the Temple of Augustus. The discovery of stone, pottery and metal objects at Nesactium served as a base for the establishment of the Museum of Antiquities (Museo d'antichità), and the Municipal Museum of Pula (Civico Museo della città di Pola) in 1902. Its seat was in a building that no longer exists, on Uspon Sv. Stjepana, in the vicinity of the Arch of the Sergii.

With the transfer of the seat of the Istrian Society for Archaeology and Local History (Società istriana di archeologia e storia patria), and the removal of part of the archaeological inventory from Poreč to Pula, the Municipal Museum merged with the State Collection (stone monuments) and the Provincial Museum from Poreč (Museo Provinciale), resulting in the creation of a single institution with regional character, and so the Royal Museum of Istria (Regio Museo dell'Istria ) was established in 1925. Due to the richness of the collections it soon became necessary to look for new exhibition premises, and so a structure that used to house the former Austrian secondary school (erected in 1890) was adapted to serve the new needs of this Museum that was opened for the general public in 1930. The Museum is located on the eastern edge of a prehistoric hillfort settlement and the Roman colony of Pola. The stately Roman Double Gate (Porta Gemina) and the open-air lapidarium and park, an access way and a broad staircase all lead to the main entrance into the building behind which is the Small Roman Theater. This exhibition was with lesser modifications open to the public until the end of World War II, when the majority of the exhibits were moved to Italy during the Anglo-American administration.
This institution was renamed as the Archaeological Museum of Istria in 1947, and has been continuously functioning until the present from its original premises. After the Italian government restituted part of the archaeological materials in 1961, systematic work and huge efforts were necessary to gradually adapt the Museum building and to develop a didactic-visual conception for all of the representative holdings that the Museum possessed. On the ground floor and in the corridors of the Museum the rearranged lapidarium was opened in 1968 (another rearrangement is currently underway). In 1973, the exhibition halls housing the Prehistoric Collection were opened on the first floor of the Museum and on the second those of the Roman, Late Roman and Medieval Collections. The exhibition halls of the Archaeological Museum of Istria are constantly being replenished with new finds discovered on Istrian archaeological sites (prehistoric caves, hillforts and necropolises, Roman agricultural estates, buildings, cemeteries and religious structures from the Early Christian and Byzantine period, the period of Barbarian incursions and the settlement of the Slavs in Istria.

With a careful selection of archaeological objects that are on display in the current permanent exhibition, we present the development of material culture on the territory of Istria from prehistory (Paleolithic, Neolithic, the Bronze Age and the particularly rich finds from the last millennium BC, discovered in necropolises of the old Histri – on the first floor), through the period of Roman rule (the lapidarium on the ground floor and in the corridors of the Museum, and exhibited on the second floor, finds from Roman necropolises, the collection of glass, pottery, metal objects, portrait and decorative sculpture, building materials), the Late Roman and Early Medieval periods (finds from Early Christian necropolises, castles, Early Christian churches, grave finds – jewelry and costume parts from Slavic necropolises), up to the period of feudalization of the Peninsula (likewise on the second floor), and a section of the medieval lapidarium (the collection of medieval interlace ornament sculpture).
Amfiteatar
Ceny biletów wstepu
adults: 40,00 kn pupils/students: 20,00 kn
Temple of Augustus
The temple of Augustus, originally dedicated to the goddess Roma and emperor Augustus, is located on the northwestern side of the Forum. It consists of a large enclosed chamber – a cella, and a smaller outer entrance hall opened towards the square, which is on the front side bounded by four, and on each lateral side by a single column with Corinthian capitals. The longitudinal walls of the cella extend themselves into the outer entrance hall where they end with fluted half-columns. The walls of the cella were erected with large, symmetrically hewn blocks of stone. The western wall that was built of quarry stones indicates that the temple was renewed after each of the numerous devastations it suffered.

A tripartite architrave was placed on the cella walls and the outer entrance hall capitals. Located over it is a frieze decorated with acanthus tendrils, fruits and birds. The roof of the temple and the gable are framed by a cornice with consoles and coffered elements. At the center of the triangular gable is a circular medallion.

On its frontal side the architrave carries the inscription: ROMAE ET AVGUSTO CAESARI DIVI FILIO PATRI PATRIAE. Thanks to this formal imperial inscription we know that the temple was erected and dedicated in the period from 2 BC to 14 AD.

Located in the temple is a collection of Roman statues from Istria, especially noteworthy being the marble statues depicting emperors.
Ceny biletów wstepu
adults: 10,00 kn pupils/students: 5,00 kn
C8
Ceny biletów wstepu
Free admission
Sacred Heart
Located in the old section of town in Pula is the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Mary, which is in its shortened form also called the Church of the Sacred Hearts, or, the Holy Heart, after the nuns who had founded it.


The church, together with the appurtenant convent, was erected in 1908. It features distinctive elements of late Baroque classicism, and it was built based on a project began by Virgilio Volpi, and concluded by Domenico Malusa. It is 34.6 m long, 14.7 m wide and 15.3 m tall. According to plan, a 26 m high belfry should have been built as well, originally in the rear of the church, and subsequently, in accordance with the revised plan in front of it, which was never carried out.

The nuns left the church and convent at the end of World War II and the structure had since then never been in use. The Church of the Sacred Hearts was used by the Archaeological Museum of Istria as a depot from 1958. The roof of the church caved in as it was not possible to perform any restoration works on it, all of which was further aggravated when the fill under the apse began to sag, resulting in the separation and cracking of the apse due to poor construction techniques employed for its construction.
The Archeological Museum of Istria started an initiative to reconstruct the church in the late eighties of the 20th century, in order to establish the Museum Scientific Center. In the early nineties, the archaeological materials that were kept at the church were transferred to Fort Bourguignon, and a new roof was built. During 2007, works began on a project to renew the church that was according to the original plans supposed to become a medieval lapidarium, which was then abandoned in favor of a new idea, whereby the church would house the Holy Heart Museum Gallery.


The structure is designed as a multimedia venue that can host either museum or gallery type exhibitions, but which at the same time can serve for lectures, conferences, scientific gatherings, performances, concerts, films, festivals and the like. A special effort was made so that persons with disabilities can move freely everywhere around the building, which in turn resulted in the erection of a vertical platform for the disabled in the church, followed by a special toilet for the disabled, and a special ramp leading to the church, enabling thus the disabled to access the church. Galleries were added to the lateral aisles of the church, which are connected by a bridge. The apse was partitioned off by a large wall that can be used to project films and other visual presentations. The premises were likewise equipped with a heating and cooling system, enabling them to be used throughout the year. Also installed were lighting, alarm, surveillance and audio systems. The surrounding area has been arranged in a manner to facilitate the organization of various events.


The scheduled opening of this facility is planned for the middle of July 2011. It is further planned to give this Museum Gallery its readily recognizable brand, creating its visual identity, followed by a gradual conversion of the church into a venue used for the presentation of cultural events to tourists during the summer months, and to the inhabitants of Pula and indeed the entire Istrian Peninsula during the remainder of the year.
Ceny biletów wstepu
Prices depend on the programme type, exhibition, concert etc.
muzeum na mapie Google

slowa kluczowe

wejscie dla zwiedzajacych

The amphitheater
Pula

pokaz na mapie

godziny otwarcia

nd
-
pn
-
wt
-
sr
-
czw
-
pt
-
so
-
Opening hours every day from:
25th of October to March: 09:00 - 17:00h
April: 08:00 - 20:00h
May: 08:00 - 21:00h
June: 08:00 - 21:30h
July & August: 08:00 - 24:00h
September: 08:00 - 21h
until 24th of October: 09:00 - 19:00h

wejscie dla zwiedzajacych

Archaeological Museum of Istre
Carrarina ulica 3
52100 Pula

pokaz na mapie

godziny otwarcia

nd
-
pn
-
wt
-
sr
-
czw
-
pt
-
so
-
The building is currently closed due to renovation works

wejscie dla zwiedzajacych

Temple of Augustus
Forum b.b.
52100 Pula

pokaz na mapie

godziny otwarcia

nd
09:00 - 15:00
pn
09:00 - 21:00
wt
09:00 - 21:00
sr
09:00 - 21:00
czw
09:00 - 21:00
pt
09:00 - 21:00
so
09:00 - 15:00
Nov. - 14th of May: closed, visit by announcement
from 15th of May until 30th. of June: 09:00 - 21:00; Sat. & Sun. 09:00 - 15:00 h
July - Sept.: 09:00 - 22:00; Sat. & Sun. 09:00 -15:00 h
Sept: 09:00 - 20:00; Sat. & Sun. 09:00 - 15:00 h
until 15th of October: 09:00 - 19:00 h

wejscie dla zwiedzajacych

C8
Carrarina ulica 3
52100 Pula

pokaz na mapie

godziny otwarcia

nd
09:00 - 23:00
pn
09:00 - 23:00
wt
09:00 - 23:00
sr
09:00 - 23:00
czw
09:00 - 23:00
pt
09:00 - 23:00
so
09:00 - 23:00
- July and August: 9 - 23 h
- The rest of the year: 9 - 21 h

wejscie dla zwiedzajacych

Sacred Heart
De Villeov uspon 8
52100 Pula

pokaz na mapie

godziny otwarcia

nd
09:00 - 23:00
pn
09:00 - 23:00
wt
09:00 - 23:00
sr
09:00 - 23:00
czw
09:00 - 23:00
pt
09:00 - 23:00
so
09:00 - 23:00

euromuse.net - portal wystaw dla Europy