The neoclassical villa Olmo was built in the XVII century, by Marquis Innocenzo Odescalchi. The construction started in 1797 under the direction of the Swiss architect Simone Cantoni. The original project was by the same age architect Innocenzo Regazzoni.
Napoleone Bonaparte, Ugo Foscolo are two of the most renowned Italian people who visited Villa Olmo between the XVIII and the XIX century.
In 1824 Villa Olmo become a property of Raimondi’s family which gave hospitality to a several important people of the XIX century, like the imperators of Austria or Giuseppe Garibaldi. Garibaldi’s passenger was marked by a little locket on the mantelpiece in the dining room’s ground floor.
In 1883 marquis Raimondi’s heirs sold the villa to the duke Guido Visconti from Vimodrone, who decided to start a restoration by architect Emilio Alemagna.
The stables and the portico were demolished an a little theatre was built inside the villa. In 1924 Villa Olmo become property of the Municipality of Como. In 1927 Villa Olmo was set of the international exhibition for the centenarian of Alessandro Volta’s death.
Today, Villa Olmo gives hospitality to important international art exhibitions, like the ones dedicate to Joan Mirò (2004), Picasso (2005), Magritte (2006), the Impressionists, Symbolists and avant-gardes (2007), and the last one THE EMBRACE OF VIENNA, Klimt, Schiele and Belvedere Masterpieces