The collections prides itself on the lutes and violins (16th-20th c.), including a violin by Marcin Groblicz (Krakow, ca. 1600) and by Dankwart, as well as instruments by Italian masters (Amati, Testore, Guadagnini, Maggini). Among the keyboard instruments there is a pianoforte by A. Walter (Vienna, 1789), and among the aerophones a Celtic bronze carnyx (2nd/1st c. B.C.). The Chopin Salon exhibits the composer’s memorabilia related to his stay in Wielkopolska, including the grand piano he used during concerts. Numerous folk instruments from Poland (a set of bagpipes) and Europe make up a veritable geographic and cultural mosaic. The most valuable instruments from outside Europe come from Tibet (a damaru drum, telescopic horns), Nepal, India (zithers, lutes, drums), Australia and both Americas (including pre-Columbian instruments). The holdings comprise also mechanical instruments of the 19th-20th c. (music boxes, barrel organs, pianolas).
Museum of Musical Instruments
The Museum of Musical Instruments, the only museum of this kind in Poland and one of the few in Europe, is located in three Renaissance and Baroque tenement houses in the Old Market, in its eastern side, occupying premises number 45, 46, and 47.
7 / 5 PLN / Free admission on Saturdays