The ground floor displays the authentic prison, courtroom, notary’s office, and archives of the Dubrovnik republic. The former courtroom (18th c.) shows the preserved original railing and bench, while portraits of renowned figures of Dubrovnik – well-known writers and poets, Latinists, natural scientists, astronomers, physicists, and politicians – are displayed on the walls.
The notary’s office is furnished with large painted wooden cupboards from the 18th century where archival material used to be kept.
On the ground floor, visitors can see an original Late Gothic painted ceiling and a painted and gilded ceiling from the renaissance (16th c.). Paintings with sacral themes created by Dubrovnik and italian masters between the 14th and 16th centuries are also exhibited there.
The mezzanine holds an exhibition of coins, medals, measures, and seals, old weapons, and the inventory of the “Domus Christi” state pharmacy.
The collection includes original Dubrovnik measures: the Dubrovnik elbow, scales for measuring the weight of gold, brass weights, a small lever scale, and anvils for minting the coins used in Dubrovnik. All varieties of coins minted in Dubrovnik from the mid-14th century to the beginning of the 19th century are exhibited. Among the signet rings, the most important are those that belonged to 18th century landed families.
The inventory of the pharmacy, founded in 1420 as part of the hospital/hospice bearing the same name, originates from italy, and was purchased during the 16th through 18th centuries.
Male attire from the end of the 18th century, worn by noblemen and wealthy citizens (attire of the female nobility has not been preserved), and the typical interior of a 19th century Dubrovnik home are exhibited on the mezzanine.
One hall is reserved for the exhibition of cold weapons and firearms, some of which were produced in Dubrovnik.
Cultural History Museum - Rector's Palace
The rector’s Palace, the former seat of the highest power in the Dubrovnik republic, and the rector’s residence. This simple Gothic-renaissance palace, with its harmonious Baroque interventions, was built on the site of the medieval Castellum (Kaštel) fortress at the beginning of the 15th century, following the design of italian architect Onofrio de la Cava.
The rector’s Palace has suffered considerable damage over the centuries. It was greatly damaged in a gunpowder explosion in 1463, but suff ered most in the big earthquake in 1667; it has always been reconstructed after its original design. The Baroque period left its mark on numerous details, especially on the atrium, the gallery, and the façades of the southern and eastern wings. The rector’s Palace is a cultural monument of the highest category and has been placed on the Unesco World Heritage List, together with the historical centre of the town.
Permanent museum exhibitions and archaeological exhibitions:
Adults 9,50 EUR, pupils and students 3,50 EUR