Lugo Provincial Museum

 

resumen

In 1932, the Provincial Council of Lugo agreed to create the Lugo Provincial Museum with the goal of collecting and protecting the cultural heritage of Lugo. The continuous increase in funds and space limitations led the museum to move in 1957 to the former Convent of San Francisco (St. Francis).
Museo
© Museo Provincial de Lugo
Logo: Lugo Provincial Museum

Lugo Provincial Museum

en detalle

In order to gather and protect the assets of the cultural heritage of Lugo in 1932, the Department of Lugo agrees to create the Museo Provincial de Lugo. This wish materialized two years later with the opening at the Palace of St. Mark (under the direction of D. Luis López Martí) of several rooms with archaeological materials, historical, artistic, etc... until then dispersed in private collections.

The continuous increase of funding and space limitations forced in 1957 to transfer the museum to the former convent of San Francisco. Maintaining three dependencies of this ancient monastery (kitchen, cloister and refectory), the architect Viguera D. Manuel Gómez Román (1875-1964) designs a new building with an air of Galician palace. On March 1, 1962, the Provincial Museum Lugo was declared Well of Cultural Interest. In 1997 the museum was expanded, according to a project by architect González Trigo.

Among the most important pieces of the collection Roman mosaics (third century AD) and a funerary stele of increasing (first and second centuries AD). can be seen in the Ground Floor together with the vestibular works by the great sculptor Francisco Galician Asorey: offerings to San Francisco and San Ramon. A Neo-baroque staircase leads to the first floor that showcases the numismatic and goldsmith collection as well as Galician art works.
Convent of San Francisco
In 1932, the Provincial Council of Lugo agreed to create the Lugo Provincial Museum with the goal of collecting and protecting the cultural heritage of Lugo. This wish took concrete form two years later with the opening of several galleries in the Palace of San Marcos (under the direction of Mr. Luis López Martí) with archeological, historic, and artistic materials, which up to that time had been dispersed in private collections.

The continuous increase in funds and space limitations led the museum to move in 1957 to the former Convent of San Francisco (St. Francis). Maintaining three separate annexes in this ancient monastery, (kitchen, cloister, and refectory), architect Manuel Gómez Román (1875-1964), from Vigo, designed a new building resembling a traditional Galician “pazo” or country manor. On March 1, 1962, the Lugo Provincial Museum was declared a Property of Cultural Interest. In 1997, the Museum was expanded according to a design by architect González Trigo.
Entradas
Free admission
Google-Maps

Palabras clave

Entrada de visitantes

Convent of San Francisco
Praza da Soidade s/n
27001 Lugo
España
Google-Maps

Horario de apertura

dom
11:00 - 14:00
lun
09:00 - 21:00
mar
09:00 - 21:00
mié
09:00 - 21:00
jue
09:00 - 21:00
vie
09:00 - 21:00
sáb
10:30 - 20:00
Cerrado de lunes a sábado de 2 a 4:30 de la tarde.

Closed during lunchbreak from Monday to Saturday from 2 pm to 4.30 pm.

euromuse.net - portal Europeo de exposiciones