The museum was Founded in the 1950s and holds 80 000 exhibits what makes it one of the most important museums in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The permanent exhibition of the museum consists of:
- Natural history collections
- Archaeological Lapidarium
- Cultural and historical collections
- The life and customs of the people of Travnik region (Permanent exhibition of photos)
Inside the Museum of Travnik there is a scientific library, photo library, collection of newspapers, coins, art collection.
The museum has its own publishing business, which publishes fiction and historiographical literature.
County Museum of Travnik
Memorial Museum Native house of Ivo Andric - The Nobel prize winner
The County Museum of Travnik was founded in 1950. For the accommodation of exhibits and collections were originally used different buildings in Travnik, such as the Austro-Hungarian Prison, Great Archdiocesan high schools, the building of the foundation of brothers slut, 'Town Mosque Elci Ibrahim Pasha Madrasa. Since 1972 the museum is located in a building that was originally constructed for the medical-health purposes in 1928 from the funds of Rockfelerove Foundation.
Standard: 1,00 EUR / 2 KM;
Group visits: 0,75 EUR (per person) / 1,5 KM
The Nobel Prize winner Ivo Andric was born 9.10.1892 in Travnik, Zenjak.
The Old Town of Travnik
the reconstructed birthplace of Nobel Prize Winner Ivo Andric was an opened on 30.8.1974 as an annex to the Museum of Travnik, as Memorial Museum of Ivo Andric with a permanent exhibit on his life and literary work.
13.03.1975, on the day of the death of Ivo Andric, the County Museum of Travnik proposed to the Travnik Municipal Assembly to rename the museum to the Memorial Museum Native house of Ivo Andric. It still works under this name.
The Old Town Fortress is one of the most beautiful and best preserved medieval fortified buildings in Bosnia which' historical periods left their distinctive characteristics.
In so far known historiographical sources, there is no record of the year and the duration of construction, or the builder. Historians agree that the fortress was built in the second half of the 14th or the first half of the 15th century. By the way it is construtructed and other indications, it is assumed that it was built by King Tvrtko II Kotromanic but historians believe that the potential builder was also Stefan Dabisa.
The present appearance of the walls and towers themselves are the result of intervention of Turkish masters of military fortifications.
In 1953 the fortress goes under the patronage of the Museum of Travnik. Thanks to the director of the Museum Stipe Lozice the fortress was cleaned and they started with decorating it through archaeological and conservation work. Soon the old city became a center of cultural and artistic events in Travnik, that was visited by many tourists and visitors.
1999 the process of renewal and revitalization of the fortress was initiated.
The old town now contains a variety of museology, cultural, educational and entertainment settings and activities.
Old Town Fortress now has the status of national monuments.
The museum on google maps: