Founded in 1884, The Museum of Poreč Territory is the oldest museum in Istria. It is located in the 18th
century Baroque palace of the Sinčić family. The palace, with its size, construction, and execution of decorative details, is among the largest and most beautiful buildings of the old town of Poreč. The museum complex also houses Sinčić Gallery where thematic exhibitions take place.
The museum holdings include more than 15,000 items which illustrate the history of Poreč and the surrounding area from prehistory to the Modern Age.
Currently, only the special exhibition can be visited. The rest of the museum is closed to visitors due to reconstruction work and the creation of a new permanent museum exhibition.
The Archaeological Department had already been established by 1884. It comprises material from prehistory, Antiquity and the Middle Ages. The most numerous are items that attest to the rich cultural and historical heritage of Roman "Parentium" (modern-day Poreč). Of particular interest is the stone altar of Tiberius Volusius Hermes which bears two relief representations of agricultural life in the ager
of Poreč, namely, the harvesting of olives and grapes. Equally important is the epigraphic altar which Titus Abudius Verus, the vice-admiral of the fleet of Ravenna, dedicated to the god Neptune.
The Ethnographic Department keeps folk costumes and jewellery, tools and other items related to agriculture, cattle breeding and crafts. There is also kitchenware, furniture and other items that were once objects of everyday use in the rural areas of Istria. There is a significantCollection of Textiles and Jewellery, as well as an assortment of wooden items, the most prominent being a collection of distaffs and a hand-carved wooden chair from Selina with the year 1872 inscribed on it.
Among the collections in the Gallery Department, the Pottery Collection should be highlighted. It presents an overview of the ceramic work by artists from the former Yugoslavia during the 1950s and 1960s, along with the work of local potters Emil Benčić, Melanija Krajina, and Ivan Krajina.
A series of art works comes from Annale, a contemporary art exhibition held in Poreč annually since 1961.
The Cultural and Historical Department comprises items dating from the 17th
to the 20th
centuries. There are arts and crafts items that illustrate the rich history of the aristocratic and bourgeois material culture of the town of Poreč and its environs. Of particular importance to the Collection of Sculptures and Old Paintings are the 17th
century portraits of the Carli family, a noble family from Koper. The 18th and 19th century portraits of the Facchinetti family are also of note, as well as a large painting of The Last Supper
(18th century) by F. Fedrigazzi, which is a copy of the original work by Palma the Younger kept inthe Diocese of Poreč.
The rich and variegated holdings of the Historical Department reflect the history of Poreč and its surrounding area from the Middle Ages to the present. The collection mainly consists of documents, maps, manuscripts, publications, graphics, photographs, old postcards, and postal-philatelic items. There are also flags, coats of arms, cold weapons, and firearms. Of particular importance are theCollections of Old Postcardsand Photographs from the 19th
and the 20th
centuries, which offer visual testimonies of a certain period. These collections are important sources for the study of the history of the town and its relevant architectural, urban, cultural and historical heritage.
The museum has a Memorial Library- protected as a cultural monument - that is kept in original library cabinets from the beginning of the 20th
century. Its holdings include some 6,500 items donated by three eminent people, the noble men Gian Stefano Carli and Nicolo de Vergottini and the canon Pietro Radoicovich. Rare books date mostly from the 16th
to the 19th
centuries. Most of the books are in the Italian language, but there are also those in Latin, French, German, Greek and Dutch. Of particular importance are 50 volumes from the 16th
century and the first editions of encyclopaedias from the 18th
The museum on google maps: