The permanent exhibition is divided into six departments. The Treasure Troves present the museum’s collections of coins, medals, orders, decorations, silver and weapons. The Prehistory of Finland is Finland’s largest archaeological exhibition.
The Realm tells of the history of Finnish culture and society from the Middle Ages until the beginning of the 20th century. A Land and Its People presents rural life in Finland before industrialisation. The 20th Century exhibition is closed and will be re-opened in 2010–2011.
The National Museum of Finland
The National Museum building was designed by the Finnish architects Herman Gesellius, Armas Lindgren and Eliel Saarinen. They won the architectural competition for the project in 1902, and the building work was conducted mainly between 1905 and 1910. The museum was opened to the public in 1916.
The museum had been founded in 1893 as the State Historical Museum by combining several older collections and placing them in the care of the state.
The museum underwent thorough renovation between 1997 and 2000
The building represents the prevailing museum architecture of the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, according to which the various parts of the building reflect the nature of the collections and the different periods of architectural history in Finland.
With its granite façade and steatite decoration, the building is one of Finland’s most significant national-romantic works of architecture. The characteristics of the new architecture of the early 20th century architecture are visible in the interior.
The museum on google maps: