Originally housing the collection of Count Schack, the Schack-Galerie is one of the richest and most intimate museums of 19th-century German painting. No more than a few paces from the Haus der Kunst and the Bavarian National Museum, the Schack-Galerie reveals more than any other collection the artistic, dreamlike and fairytale world of Romanticism.
Count Schack (1815-1894), a Prussian official of Mecklenburg origin, bequeathed his collection to the German Kaiser. The building in which the paintings still hang today was erected in 1907, when it served not only to house the collection, but was also used by the Prussian Legation in Bavaria. The Schack-Galerie was incorporated into the Bavarian State Paintings Collection in 1939.
Among others, the collection contains works by:
Böcklin, Dillis, Feuerbach, Fries, Führich, Genelli, Koch, Lenbach, Mareés, Morgenstern, Neureuther, Preller, Rottmann, Schwind, and Spitzweg.
4 / 3 EUR,
Sonntag/Sunday: 1 EUR
The museum on google maps: