The items in the collection are mainly 18th- and 19th-century objects and textiles connected with the local civic culture as well as peasant artefacts from the surrounding district.
The history and culture of the area are presented in the Old Town Hall: furniture, textiles, glass, china, toys and vehicles. There is a large collection of locks on the ground floor. The exhibition on the upper floor focuses on life in Porvoo in the Middle Ages and the 16th century.
Porvoo Museum, The Old Town Hall
The Old Town Hall was erected in 1762-64. It and the Cathedral are the most important buildings in the Old Town. A two-storey structure with a mansard roof, atop which is a small wooden clock tower. It is one of two 18th-century town halls still standing in Finland.
The building housed the town's administrative court, the council and the constabulary. It was also sometimes used for performances by itinerant theatrical troupes and in times of war was converted into an infirmary. Its time in the limelight of history came in spring 1809, when the Diet of Porvoo was convened there. After 650 years as a part of the Kingdom of Sweden, Finland had just been annexed to the Russian Empire. To determine the future political status of his new possession, Czar Alexander 1 convened the Diet (the national legislative assembly comprising four Estates) in Porvoo. The Nobility and the Burghers met in two rooms on the upper floor of the Town Hall.
The museum on google maps: