Mocenigo Palace


in short

A Patrician residence, this museum contains precious furnishings and 18th century paintings. The museum displays a selection of rare items from the collections of fabrics and costumes of the Study Centre of the History of Fabrics and Costumes.
Palazzo Mocenigo, Ingresso
© Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia
Logo: Mocenigo Palace

Mocenigo Palace

in detail

A Patrician residence at San Stae, this museum contains precious furnishings and 18th century paintings. It is the seat of the Museum and Study Centre of the History of Fabrics and Costumes, with rich and carefully organized collections from different sources.
The collection is laid out in the rooms of the first piano nobile of the palazzo, with an ample selection of garments and accessories. As far as possible, the pieces are laid out in such a way as to illustrate changing tastes in both fashion and furnishings, underlining analogies in colour, line and decorative motif between these two related areas of design. Mainly of Venetian origin, the garments and accessories are in “worked” fabrics which are often embellished with lace and embroidery. They are a fine illustration of the skill of those numerous artisans (weavers, tailors, lacemakers, embroiderers, etc.) who made such a contribution to that refined luxury and elegance for which the Venetians of the day were famous.
Palazzo Mocenigo also contains a well-stocked library specialising in the history of fabrics, costumes, and fashion.
Palazzo Mocenigo
From 17th century, the palazzo was the residence of the San Stae branch of the Mocenigo family, one of the most important families of the Venetian patriciate, seven members of which became doges between 1414 and 1778. It is a large building of gothic origin extensively rebuilt at the beginning of the 17th century, when it attained its present appearance.
Full price: 8,00 euro. Reduced: 5,50 euro. School offer: 4,00 euro
The museum on google maps:


Visitor entrance

Palazzo Mocenigo
Santa Croce 1992
30135 Venice
view on a map

Opening Times

10:00 - 17:00
10:00 - 17:00
10:00 - 17:00
10:00 - 17:00
10:00 - 17:00
10:00 - 17:00
From April 1st to October 31st: 10 am – 5 pm (ticket office 10 am – 4.30 pm). From November 1st to March 31st: 10 am – 4 pm (ticket office 10 am – 3.30 pm). Closed on Monday, December 25th, January 1st and May 1st - The exhibition portal for Europe