We would like to inform you that all permanent exhibitions of the Rogalin Palace, branch of the National Museum in Poznań will be closed from 1st of January 2013 to 31st of December 2014
due to the 2nd stage of the Revitalising and modernising the Palace and Park complex in Rogalin, a branch of the National Museum in Poznań
The renovation that ended in June 2009, with the assistance of EEA funds , brought the building back to its former glory. In the autumn of 2009 the Edward A. Raczyński Gallery will be opened to the general public. The Gallery contains Polish and European paintings from the turn of the 20th c. (e.g. the famous "Maid of Orleans" by J. Matejko, works by Malczewski and French Symbolists). In addition, the public will have access to the right wing of the Palace with the London study of Edward Bernard, President of the Republic of Poland in Exile and the creator of the Raczyński Family Foundation (active at the National Museum in Poznań), and will be able to visit the coach hall.
Picturesquely situated in the Warta River valley, the Rogalin residence along with its French garden from the latter half of the 18th c. is surrounded by a magnificent English-style landscape park with a group of ancient oak trees, unique in Europe. Especially famous within this group are the oaks carrying the names of the legendary Slav brothers, Lech, Czech and Rus.
Visitors have a standing invitation to the French garden with its sculptures of mythological deities and to the English-style park with centuries-old oak trees that remember Rogalin’s oldest days.
The history of the Rogalin Palace harks back to the second half of the 18th century, when Kazimierz Raczynski, later Royal Marshal at the court of Stanislaw August Poniatowski, became the owner of the estate.
A late baroque palace complex was erected for him in the period 1768-1774; it was designed by an unknown architect, most probably from the Warsaw-Saxon circle.
In the 1780s the interior of the palace was modernised in a classicist style; the most outstanding royal architects of the time, Domenico Merlini and Jan Christian Kamsetzer, were the authors of the design. Rogalin's owner in the period 1810-1845, Edward Count Raczynski, converted the ball hall into an armoury with neo-gothic furnishings and placed there a collection of objects of national and historical value. In addition, the palace chapel in the southern wing was converted to a library and an archive.
In 1820, at the eastern end of the foundation axis he erected a chapel - a replica of the Roman temple Maison Carree in Nimes near Marseilles - which served the function of the family mausoleum; the entire complex was extended by a landscape park.
In the 1890s Edward Aleksander Raczynski, the fifth heir of Rogalin, along with his wife Roza nee Countess Potocka, created a neo-baroque library in the palace and had the entire palace overhauled. The renovation work was designed and led by the Cracow-based architect Zygmunt Hendel.
In 1910 Edward Aleksander Raczynski had a building of a gallery of painting erected next to the palace and placed there the collection of Polish and European painting of the period he had been gathering since the 1880s. At that time this was one of the few buildings erected in Poland with the intention of being open to the general public.
During World War II, when the palace was the seat of the Hitlerjugend Gebietsfuhrerschule, and immediately after the war the furnishings of the palace were almost completely dispersed.
The museum on google maps: