The Natural History Museum originally contained the collections of the Rheinische Naturforschende Gesellschaft, which was founded in 1834 and still supports and sponsors the museum. The collections were brought to the former monastery of “Reichklara” (founded in 1272), and in 1910 a first exhibition was opened to the public.
During World War II the museum was bombed and large parts of the collections were destroyed. It was not possible to reopen the museum until 1962. Since 1988 the museum has stored the natural history collection of Rhineland-Palatinate which documents the bio- and geodiversity (geology, mineralogy, palaeontology, botany, zoology) of this federal state.
Today the collections contain approx. 1.5 million items. Since 2010 the Natural History Museum is a member of the Mainz Scientific Alliance.
Mainz Museum of Natural History / State Collection of Natural History of Rhineland-Palatinate
The museum was founded in 1910 in the former monastery of “Reichklara” which was built in 1272.
4,50/3,50 EUR/free admission on Sundays at the moment
The museum on google maps: