The City Hall, situated in the centre of the Old Market Square, the seat of the Museum of the History of Poznań, was originally a single-storey building erected at the latest at the turn of the 14th c. The Gothic cellars, currently renovated, come from this period. The City Hall was rebuilt in a stately manner in the mid-16th c. by the Italian architect Giovanni Baptista di Quadro (the architect took to Poznań so much that he decided to settle down here. He married a Pole, Barbara Sztametówna). The building received a uniform Renaissance exterior and a new interior layout, with the imposing Great Antechamber (Renaissance Hall).
The exhibit, located in the ground floor halls and on the first and second floors, tells the story of Poznań and its City Hall from the moment of the town’s location (1253) until the 1950s.
On the outside of the City Hall, one’s gaze is attracted by images of Polish kings of the Jagiellonian and Piast dynasties in the attic belt and in the arcades of side loggias, as well as by the clock in the middle turret, featuring the famous billy-goats (a symbol of Poznań), horning each other every day at high noon. The first clockwork was constructed in 1555 by master Bartłomiej Wolff of Gubin.
Museum of the History of Poznan
The Museum of the History of the City of Poznan has since 1954 been housed in the City Hall - a former seat of the city authorities. The origin of the building harks back to the late 13th and the early 14th centuries.
Initially this was a small one-storey edifice. In mid-16th century the municipal authorities entrusted its rebuilding to the Italian architect Giovanni Battista Quadro of Lugano, who in the period 1550-60 transformed a modest Gothic town hall into a magnificent representative seat of the city council. Despite the damage it suffered during World War II, the City Hall has until today preserved its Renaissance form from mid-16th century.
The compact Renaissance edifice of the City Hall crowned with an attic is erected on the projection of a rectangle. Its representative eastern facade opens up towards the Market Square with a three-storey loggia, topped with three polygonal turrets. The middle one is equipped with a clockwork with small goats whose tradition goes back to the 16th century. Over the arches of the loggia arcades there are representations of virtues and geniuses as well as Latin inscriptions related to the execution of justice. In the attic section one can see a succession of Polish monarchs of the Jagiellonian dynasty. In the blind side arcades of the loggia there are images of kings from the Piast dynasty. The Great Antechamber, the Royal Chamber and the Court Chamber, situated on the first floor, constitute a set of official rooms. The Great Antechamber (known also as the Renaissance Chamber) is famous for its exquisite stucco decoration covering the vaulting.
7 / 5 / Free admission on Saturdays
The museum on google maps: