The Museum focuses on collecting, maintaining and displaying documents concerning the Maestro´s life and work, such as music autographs, correspondence and other written material, pieces of art and period photographs, programmes, posters, personal objects, etc.
The Bedřich Smetana Museum is situated in close proximity to the Charles Bridge, on a site with an extraordinary view across the Vltava River to the panorama of the Prague Castle.
It is housed in the building of the former Old Town Water Works–one of the most beautiful Neo-Renaissance structures in Prague, built in 1883-84 according to plans by Antonín Wiehl. The architectural conception of the structure is enhanced by rich sgraffito decoration designed by Mikoláš Aleš and František Ženíšek (important Czech painters of the 19th century) related to the battles of citizens of Prague with the Swedes on the Charles Bridge in 1648.
In 1935 the City of Prague loaned the building to the Bedřich Smetana Society for the needs of the Smetana Museum, which had been established in 1926. After necessary modifications, the building was made accessible to the public on 12 May 1936 with the festive opening of the first permanent exposition.
In 1964, after extensive renovation and remodelling of the structure, the exposition took on a new form that remained until the early 1990s.
Muzeum Bedřicha Smetany
Basic 50 CZK / Reduced 30 CZK
The museum on google maps: