Theodor Pallady Museum

 

in short

The Museum holds remarkable paintings and over 800 drawings by Theodor Pallady. Landscapes, nudes, portraits and interiors illustrative of his Parisian period are regularly presented in changing exhibitions.
Theodor Pallady Museum in the Melik House
© MNaR

Theodor Pallady Museum

in detail

Gheorghe Răut, manager of the Paris branch of the Marmorosch Blank Bank, was also a reputed connoisseur and a dedicated art collector. During his stay in the French capital, Gheorghe Răut shared the house at 12, Place Dauphine with painter Theodor Pallady (1871 - 1956), whose friend and admirer he became. While living in Paris Răut had assembled his own art collection and upon Pallady’s return to Romania he had also kept the works left behind in the artist’s studio. In the late 1960s, he donated his collection to the Romanian State, thus giving shape to the future Theodor Pallady Museum inaugurated in 1971 in the so-called Melik House.

One of the most beautiful old buildings in Bucharest, the Melik House was built in the second half of the eighteenth century. The house was named after its most outstanding owner, Jacob Melik, who, in the second half of the nineteenth century, undertook the first ample renovation of the building retaining nevertheless its original style.

The Museum holds remarkable paintings and over 800 drawings by Theodor Pallady. Landscapes, nudes, portraits and interiors illustrative of his Parisian period are regularly presented in changing exhibitions.

The collection of Serafina and Gheorghe Răut, which numbers 1,270 works, includes paintings by French artists, such as Lubin Baugin, Edmond Aman Jean, Carolus Duran, Camille Corot, Dutch artists such as Jan van de Capelle, two British canvases, as well as works by Romanian painters Paul Verona and Jean Al. Steriadi. Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Indian, and Khmer works, but also French and Italian pieces make up a representative sculpture selection. Complementing these is an evocative array of furniture, ceramics, carpets and tapestries.
The Melik House
One of the most beautiful old buildings in Bucharest, the Melik House was built in the second half of the eighteenth century. The house was named after its most outstanding owner, Jacob Melik, who, in the second half of the nineteenth century, undertook the first ample renovation of the building retaining nevertheless its original style.


Admission
5 LEI
The museum on google maps:

keywords

Visitor entrance

The Melik House
22, Spătarului Street
Bucharest
Romania
view on a map

Opening Times

Sun
11:00 - 19:00
Mon
-
Tue
-
Wed
11:00 - 19:00
Thu
11:00 - 19:00
Fri
11:00 - 19:00
Sat
11:00 - 19:00
From May to September 11:00 - 19:00
From October to April 10:00 - 18:00

euromuse.net - The exhibition portal for Europe