In 1946, K.H. Zambaccian donated both his collection and the house to the State. The Museum, whose holdings included 165 paintings, 71 prints and drawings, 40 sculptures and 16 furniture pieces, was inaugurated in 1947.
The collection focuses on Romanian art, richly represented by works of exceptional quality ranging in date from the second half of the nineteenth century to the mid-twentieth century. Paintings by Nicolae Grigorescu, Ioan Andreescu, Ştefan Luchian, Jean Al. Steriadi, Gheorghe Petraşcu, Nicolae Tonitza, Nicolae Dărăscu, Theodor Pallady, Iosif Iser, Corneliu Baba, Alexandru Ciucurencu, Horia Damian, Alexandru Padina, Ion Ţuculescu, and a smaller yet notable group of sculptures by Dimitrie Paciurea, Oscar Han, Corneliu Medrea, Ion Jalea and Constantin Brâncuşi offer a revealing survey of Romanian modern art.
Among the masterpieces of the collection there are also 19 paintings by famous French artists, such as Delacroix, Renoir, Pissarro, Sisley, Cézanne, Bonnard, Utrillo, Marquet, and Matisse.
The Museum was closed in 1978, and its holdings were integrated into The Art Collections Museum. It was only in 1996 that, following a large-scale program involving the rehabilitation of Bucharest museums, the K.H. Zambaccian Museum was refurbished and reopened to the public in its original location.
Thirteen highlights from the Museum are presented online, organised by school.
In 2008 the museum underwent consolidation and renovation works and the exhibition was reorganized. A great deal of the artworks now on display have been restore.
The museum on google maps: