The beginning of Deva Museum is linked to the setting up time of “History and Archaeology Society of Hunedoara County” in 1880. Its statutes specified the creation of a museum consisting of ancient objects that was achieved two years later.
Museum collections were stored in a private house, and from 1890, in six classrooms of the School of Technology, currently the National College Decebal of Deva. The Museum, after the journey through mentioned locations, received as headquarter the Castle Magna Curia. At the leadership of Museum of Deva were scientists-assessed researchers, out of which are Téglás Gabor, Joseph Mallasz, Octavian Floca. Following the decision of National Commission for Museums and Collections of July 4, 1994, the name of the institution was changed to Dacian and Roman Civilization Museum of Deva.
The Natural Sciences Collection was made available as exhibition in the restored building Magna Curia. At the end of 2011 was completed the rehabilitation of the administrative body that includes, besides all offices and storages necessary to preserve the museum collections at the standards imposed by legislation. Currently the exhibition assembly of MDRC is reorganizing and the heritage in full process of revaluation.
Currently at the ground floor of Magna Curia can be visited the exhibition of Natural Sciences, entitled “Past and present in the nature of Hunedoara County” and a room dedicated to the history of the nineteenth century of Hunedoara County called “Nobility ambient of nineteenth century”, both exhibitions were inaugurated in the first half of 2012. So far, in the other spaces are organized temporary exhibitions. Behind the building Magna Curia was completed, also in 2012, a Lapidarium, open to the public.
However, temporary exhibitions are organized regularly that attempt to achieve as many aspects as representative of the rich heritage owned by our institution. Through these exhibitions, Deva Museum of Dacian and Roman Civilization managed to keep its doors open to the visitors.
Moreover, MDRC is involved in several large projects, one of which entitled “Roman Emperors Route”, the archaeological site from Ulpia Traiana Sarmizegetusa was selected with four other such objectives to be included in this representative project which aims at the diversification of European tourism and increasing the visibility of Lower and Middle Danube area as an attractive and sustainable destination.
The management of the institution has considered also the rehabilitation, in recent years, of the exhibition spaces and buildings in the sections of the territory: Local History and Ethnography Department Brad, Ethnography and Folk Art Department Orăştie, and Archaeology Department Sarmizegetusa and the memorial compound “Aurel Vlaicu”, and the monuments complex from Ţebea.
Muzeul Civilizatiei Dacice si Romane
"Aurel Vlaicu" memorial museum
The memorial museum “Aurel Vlaicu” opened in 1952 in the parental home in his native village. The house was renovated by Ion Vlaicu over the years, but always kept with frontal piece and ornamental plaster, with large and bright windows. Since 1925, a memorial plaque is placed on the walls of the house by Section Orăştie of ASTRA and “Aurel Vlaicu” High School to honour Aurel Vlaicu as the “first flier of Transylvania” and “overcomer of the air, by the airplane which was his own invention and construction. Mindful of the historical necessity of abolishing border between brothers, he also indicated as a forerunner the way Romanian nation will follow in 1916 for realization of victory and achieving its secular aspiration. Apprentice of the idea of wholeness and national emancipation, he felt the blood of his youth, in 1913, the beginning of this road of the nation. Forever be blessed his memory and the nation of which he grew!”
Sarmizegetusa (Roman City Museum)
The monument was erected in 1933 on the initiative of Ion Pilat (1873-1954), skillful mechanically artisan at the Shipyards of Galaţi. The author was sculptor Dimitriu Bârlad. Every year, the exhibition of the Memorial House experienced an influx of visitors from home and abroad so that “Aurel Vlaicu Memorial Museum” was built and arranged in 1982 near the Memorial House. It is a building with a modern architecture and a great museum endowment.
Colonia Ulpia Traiana Augusta Dacica Sarmizegetusa was the first city founded in Dacia by Emperor Trajan, overlapping a camp that operated during the period amongst the two wars between the Romans and Dacians. The city also had a territorium around, a huge area that stretched from the Apuseni Mountains to the Danube. Here there are farms (villa rustica) and inferior rank settlements as Aquae (nowadays Călan Băi) or Germisara (Geoagiu Băi today), which revolved around the metropolis.
Following today archaeological research, can be visited the monuments outside the walls of the enclosure as well as the temples or amphitheater, while inside are found the palace of the financial procurator of Dacia Apulensis (Domus Procuratoris) and the forum. Sarmisegetusa Archaeological Museum emerged as a logical necessity for housing numerous pieces found during archaeological excavations as well as to stop their migration to other places or institutions.
The museum on google maps: