Museum of Tešanj

 

in short

The work of the museum is based on the protection of cultural and historical heritage and the Tesanj area, as well as the collection, processing, storage and protection of museum material and its presentation to the public through permanent and temporary exhibitions

© Muzej Tešanj
Logo: Museum of Tešanj

Museum of Tešanj

in detail

The public institution Museum Tešanj was founded on 30.07.2009. by the Municipal Council Tesanj. After establishing all the necessary activities for the museum in april 2011 under the decision given by  the Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sports of the Zenica-Doboj Canton Museum fulfilled the conditions for official starting to work. Work of the museum is based on the protection of cultural and historical heritage and natural tesanj area, as well as the collection, processing, storage and protection of museum material and its presentation to the public through permanent and temporary exhibitions.


The headquarter of the museum is the building of the House of Culture  in is which the administration, depot, library and museum library. The museum currently does not have its own building, and conducts its activities in the three annexes: The Old Town Tesanj, Eminaga residence and necropolis in wolves. Collected museum material has been classified by the collections that were housed in the annex. Until now there are formed four collections: archaeological, historical, ethnological and numismatic. Archaeological collection consists of items created by the end of the Middle Ages. Most part, have been unearthed in the old town of Tesanjin  80-ies of the last century, under the leadership of Loaf team from the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina. In addition to these items are the archaeological objects were acquired by purchase. Historical Collection is composed of cultural-historical objects collected in the municipality of our new century and the modern era. In this collection was formed oriental collection and a collection of posters as sub-collections. Ethnological collection consists of items of material and spiritual culture collected from the area of ​​the municipality Tešanj. The numismatic collection shows coins from the antiquity to modern times, which are mostly bought by purchase.


Museum Tesanj makes a significant contribution to the cultural life of the city and tourist striving. Cooperates with museums and other cultural institutions in the country and the neighborhood.


Centar za kulturu i obrazovanje Tešanj
Admission
The entrance is free.
Eminaga residence
Eminaga residence is the oldest and most beautiful building of domestic architectural heritage in Tesanj. During the first geodesic recording  of Tesanj in 1882 this building was drawn as well. It is assumed that this building is built before year 1860. It belonged to the family Eminaga, wealthy landowners and merchants. Eminagic family have lived in the house until the eighties in the last century. After that period, the house was  completely devastated.

In such a devastated condition, Eminaga residency building was bought by the municipality of Tešanj and the initiative for its reconstruction was started. The residency consists of the storage, ground and first floors.

On the ground floor of  Eminaga Konak are seven rooms. Every room in the Eminaga residency had its own purpose. Some facilities were the embodiment of comfort and wealth what was specificfor the bey family lifestyle and culture.

Eminaga residency first floor  consists of 5 rooms.
The Old town of Tesanj
Old Town Tešanj or castle was built on a hill in a valley by the river Tešanjka on the  partly isolated rock hill, that is inaccessible from three sides. According to the type of its purpose, it belongs to the group of large walled cities on the hill.

Fortified settlement from the medieval period was built on top of a rocky hill. There was built tower in polygonal shape and fenced yard. Yard had an irregular semicircle with a radius of some 26 meters. On the north side of the courtyard was built twelvecorner tower which is supposed to be as high as 15 to 20 meters and had a ground floor and three floors. The tower was the main defense of the medieval city. Between the tower and the present truncated tower there was small bastion built in the side wall of the courtyard  which is believed it was a tower. In the courtyard were once constructed wooden residential building, and one well which is now buried under the ground. It was buried by the Germans in World War II, after being thoroughly searched. Near twelvecorner tower was built smaller protruding sevencorner tower. That is how the original Tešanj city of the Middle Ages looked like, and it will change its appearance in the early fifteenth century and the turn of the medieval castle into a fortress. Then at the very edge elevations were constructed walls which enclosed a complete defense system. As for the technique of building tesanj medieval town, the stone shell was used into which poured slurry of crushed stone and lime mortar.

The Ottomans were occupying the city probably in 1520 encountered and they found burnt city and destroyed tower. At the end of the seventeenth century, the Ottomans had repaired the city. Then they added to the Tesanj city the lower part of the town.

The strength of the city is characterized by renovated uptown, adapted to the modern way of fighting, and the lower part of the Ottoman period, which is their system supplemented force fortress.

The lower part of the building began in the reign of Sultan Mustafa II (1695 - 1703). In the lower part of the Ottomans built the first tower Dizdar tower. The tower had a ground floor and two upper floors. The first floor was a bigger room for housing, and a second-floor apartment for dizdars. On the east side of the Dizdar tower, the Ottomans built a bastion. Through the middle of the bastions of the tunnel was dug, and on the right and left sides the casemates were set.

With this Gradina received her final physiognomy, which represented one of the strongest fortresses of Bosnian eyalet. Upgrading the old town which was made by the Ottomans, as well as construction of a third lower  representing the third (Ottoman) architectural phase. Military  abandoned the old city of Tešanj 1840.

The museum on google maps:

keywords

Visitor entrance

Museum of Tesanj
Ul. Kralja Tvrtka
74260 Tešanj
Bosnia and Herzegovina
view on a map

Opening Times

Sun
-
Mon
07:30 - 15:30
Tue
07:30 - 15:30
Wed
07:30 - 15:30
Thu
07:30 - 15:30
Fri
07:30 - 15:30
Sat
-

Visitor entrance

Center for culture and education Tesanj
Kralja Tvrtka 1
74260 Tešanj
Bosnia and Herzegovina
view on a map

Opening Times

Sun
-
Mon
08:00 - 15:00
Tue
08:00 - 15:00
Wed
08:00 - 15:00
Thu
08:00 - 15:00
Fri
08:00 - 15:00
Sat
-
The Center is open from Monday to Friday from 7:00 to 15:00

Visitor entrance

Eminaga residence
Tešanj
Bosnia and Herzegovina
view on a map

Opening Times

Sun
-
Mon
09:00 - 14:00
Tue
09:00 - 14:00
Wed
09:00 - 14:00
Thu
09:00 - 14:00
Fri
09:00 - 14:00
Sat
09:00 - 14:00

Visitor entrance

The Old town of Tesanj
Tešanj
Bosnia and Herzegovina
view on a map

Opening Times

Sun
-
Mon
09:00 - 15:30
Tue
09:00 - 15:30
Wed
09:00 - 15:30
Thu
09:00 - 15:30
Fri
09:00 - 15:30
Sat
-

euromuse.net - The exhibition portal for Europe