After 61 years, the Museum of Fine Arts finally has regained a permanent address. The new building on the former Sachsenplatz was opened on December 4th, 2004.
The building offers more than 7,000 sqm space for exhibitions presenting the permanent collection as well as temporary exhibitions on four floors. The museum presents masterpieces from 15th to 21st century, whereby the highlithts are the paintings of the late middle ages, the Dutch paintings of the 17th century and the German Art of the 19th century. Moreover, emphasis is put on the works of Max Klinger and the paintings of the artists that belong to the “Leipzig school” and their successors.
The Museum of Fine Arts in Leipzig has been founded a private initiative by committed citizens in 1858 which is why it has the prominent profile of a civil collection. Ever since the inventory has continuously been expanded to an total amount of about 3,000 paintings and 1,000 sculptures, mainly through private donations and patronages. The Museum of Fine Arts owns about 60,000 drawings, graphics and water-paintings. The art library of the museum is one of the biggest in Germany with its almost 100,000 books.
The building has been the very first construction of a museum in the new federal German states after 1945. In 2001 the museum has been admitted to the “Blaubuch”, which documents the museums’ prominence among cultural facilities of national importance. Inside the big cube a classic museum architecture is combined with high cubic patios and inner yards reaching several floors. The wide window fronts and the four entrances opening to all directions link the building with the city centre. Future intentions are to frame the cube by four marginal buildings reminding of the city’s former urban historic structure, two buildings are already realised.the Dutch paintings of the 17th century and the German Art of the 19th century. Moreover, emphasis is put on the works of Max Klinger and the paintings of the artists that belong to the “Leipzig school” and their successors.
The museum on google maps: