The history of the Picasso Museum in Barcelona is the chronicle of the artist’s firm wish to leave the imprint of his art in our city. Thanks to the wishes of Picasso and his friend and personal secretary, Jaume Sabartés, Barcelona now has the youthful work of one of the twentieth century’s most significant artists.
The Museum is very rich in regard to work from the training periods in the life of the artist; we could say that it is practically exhaustive up to the Blue Period, of which the Museum has a priceless group of works. Furthermore, the Museum houses an important representation of works from 1917, and the series, Las Meninas (1957) and a very large Picasso’s prints collection, now displayed in the rooms opened in the beginning of 2008.
The Museum has undergone successive renovations and expansions, and it’s currently starting to develop new programmes, activities and services to become a reference place, envisaged to spreading knowledge and to fostering the visitor’s participation and critical views. The Museum wishes to be a dialogue space, exploring new approaches to Picasso’s work and influence and offering new perspectives on the Museum Collection.
Palaces on the street carrer de Montcada
The Picasso Museum occupies five large town houses or palaces on the street carrer de Montcada. The street called Carrer de Montcada is today the most important area of mediaeval civic architecture in the city.
The original palaces date from the 13th-15th centuries, undergoing major refurbishments over time, the most important in the 18th century. The palaces are a good example of Catalan civic gothic style. They have a common structure surrounding a courtyard with access to the main floor via an outdoor open stairway.
The Picasso Museum was first opened in the Gothic Aguilar Palace palau gòtic Aguilar (Montcada, 15) in 1963. The City Council extended the museum by annexing the Baró de Castellet Palace palau del Baró de Castellet (Montcada, 17) in 1970 and then with the Meca Palace palau Meca (Montcada, 19). A new museum extension was opened in 1999 at the casa Mauri and the Finestres Palace palau Finestres with space for temporary exhibitions. These five palaces presently constitute the Barcelona Picasso Museum.
Collection + Temporary exhibition: Standard 11,00 EUR / Reduced 6,00 EUR.
Temporary exhibition: Standard 6,60 EUR / Reduced 4,45 EUR
The museum on google maps: