El Colegio de San Gregorio is one of the most beautiful examples of peninsular architecture of the 15th century. It was created as a center for theological education for Dominicans monks and played an important role in the political and doctrinal sixteenth-century Spain.
Historical monument in the 19th century, it has been home to the Museum since 1933, year in which a decree of the Second Republic, moved here from the Museum collection Fine Arts, while granting him the rank of the National Sculpture Museum. It has been totally renovated by the architectural team and scored Sobejano Nieto-in 2007 National Award for Architectural Restoration and Rehabilitation. The rehabilitation has recovered and put in value historic architecture, seeking a harmonious dialogue and respect between modernity and tradition. Iroko wood, stucco walls and copper are the protagonists of the renewal materials. Also have been upgraded technological equipment in terms of air conditioning, lighting, security, etc.
The main facade, with its carved cover, attributed to Gil de Siloam workshop is one of its most spectacular, with the cloister, the true core of the College. Completed the whole a chapel annex, built in 1490 by John Guas with
sacristy work of Simón de Colonia. The admirable coffered halls or decoration of doors, windows and patios can understand how sculpture makes this museum a unique place.
Besides the headquarters for the permanent collection, Museum has de Villena Palace, a 16th century aristocratic building, located just steps from the College of San Gregory. In addition to qualitative improvements, with this enlargement, the museum gains a total of almost 2,000 square meters. This building hosts temporary exhibitions, educational activities and public programs. It also houses the library, an auditorium and workshops restoration and photography. Remain on display in addition the 18th century Neapolitan crib. Among the recovered spaces there is a pleasant garden.
3,00 / 1,50 EUR.
Entrada gratuita los domingos, los sábados después de las 4 de la tarde y siguientes festivos... / Free admission on Sunday, after 4 pm on Saturdays and following holidays: 18/04, 18/05, 12/10, 06/12.