The collection of the Glass Museum represents the largest historical collection of Murano glass in the world, with works created from the 15th to the 20th century, but also includes notable Roman pieces.
The collection is laid out chronologically on the first floor of the museum. Starting from an archaeological section on the ground floor, which contains noteworthy Roman works dating from the 1st to the 3rd century A.D., it follows to the largest historical collection of Murano glass in the world, with pieces dating from the 15th to the 20th century, many of them world-famous masterpieces.
The palace was the ancient residence of the bishops of Torcello. It was originally a patrician’s palace in typical Flamboyant Gothic style, and then in 1659 it became the residence of Bishop Marco Giustinian who later bought the property and donated it to the Torcello diocese. This was the period when extensive rebuilding was carried out, based on plans by Antonio Gaspari. Today, the ceiling of the large central room (or portego) on the first floor overlooking the Grand Canal in Murano testifies the original splendour of the palace with an 18th century fresco by Francesco Zugno (1709 – 1789) depicting the allegory of the Triumph of San Lorenzo Giustinian, the first patriarch of Venice (1381 – 1455), ancestor of the family which radically altered the building in the 17th century.
Admission Full price: 8,00 euro. Reduced: 5,50 eur. School Offer: 4,00 eur.