Correr Museum

 

in short

The visit of the Museum goes from the neo-classical rooms, with sculptures by Antonio Canova, to the picture-gallery, representing Venetian painting from its origins to the early 16th century, till the Imperial Rooms where the empress "Sissi" stayed.
Museo Correr – esterno su Piazza San Marco
© Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia
Logo: Correr Museum

Correr Museum

in detail

The Museum is laid out in various sections that offer a fascinating insight into the art and history of Venice. The first section occupies the Napoleonic Wing, a 19th century kings and emperors’ palace; here the sumptuous Neoclassical Rooms house a noteworthy collection of works by the great sculptor Antonio Canova (1757-1822). One passes into the Procuratie Nuove, designed by the architect Vincenzo Scamozzi (1552-1616), which once housed some of the most important civic authorities of the Republic of Venice. The spacious rooms now houses collections that document various aspects of Venetian History, from daily life to public instutions, from naval achievements to local festivities. Through these rooms, an outstanding art collection is displayed, which continues on the second floor, covering the period from the very earliest days of Venetian painting up to the 16th century, with many of the artworks being incomparable masterpieces. In 2012 has also opened to the public the new itinerary of the Imperial Rooms of the Royal Palace in Venice, after the restoration of nine rooms, where the empress of Austria Elisabeth ("Sissi") stayed from 1836 and 1838 and then in 1854 and 1855.
Correr Museum
The design and initial building work on the Napoleonic Wing dates from the years when Venice was part of the Kingdom of Italy (1806-1814) of which Napoleon was sovereign and his stepson, Eugene de Beauharnais, was Viceroy. Complete with monumental double facade, atmospheric portico, ample staircase, and opulent Ballroom, the Napoleonic Wing was designed by the architects Giovanni Antonio Antolini, Giuseppe Soli and Lorenzo Santi. In the 1820s, the latter would be responsible for the layout of the entire Royal Palace complex, which now occupies the Procuratie Nuove as far as the Biblioteca Marciana, part of the building that had once housed the Venetian Mint, and the grounds of what became known as the Giardinetto Reale. The Venetian painter Giuseppe Borsato worked on the interiors decoration, producing a personal and very careful interpretation of the Empire style, clearly influenced by the French architects Percier and Fontaine and the Biedermeier style that then prevailed in most of the major royal courts of Europe.
Admission
Full price: 16,00 eur; reduced: 10,00 eur. School Offer: 5,50 eur. A single ticket valid for all the St. Mark’s Square Museums: the Doge’s Palace, Museo Correr, Museo Archeologico Nazionale and Monumental Rooms of the Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana. This ticket is valid for 3 months and grants one single admission to each museum.
The museum on google maps:

keywords

Visitor entrance

Correr Museum
Piazza San Marco 52
30124 Venice
Italy
view on a map

Opening Times

Sun
10:00 - 19:00
Mon
10:00 - 19:00
Tue
10:00 - 19:00
Wed
10:00 - 19:00
Thu
10:00 - 19:00
Fri
10:00 - 19:00
Sat
10:00 - 19:00
From April 1st to October 31st 10am – 7pm (ticket office 10am – 6pm). From November 1st to March 31st 10am – 5pm (ticket office 10am – 4pm). Closed on December 25th and January 1st.

euromuse.net - The exhibition portal for Europe