A palatial building with Baroque-classicist facades erected between 1883 and 1893 by the architects Alejandro Sureda, Luis Cabello y Asó and Luis Cabello la Piedra. Its interior space is divided between the mezzanine floor, designed for everyday use, and the main floor, which was used for receiving guests.
The building that houses the Museo Cerralbo was erected as a habitual residence in which to exhibit the collection that the marquis and his wife had amassed throughout their lives. It stands in what was then the modern district of Argüelles, on a site spanning 1,709 sq m, with facades overlooking Calles Ferraz, Ventura Rodríguez and Juan Álvarez de Mendizábal. Its architects were Alejandro Sureda, Luis Cabello y Asó and Luis Cabello Lapiedra, who followed the guidelines established by the Marquis of Cerralbo until its completion in 1893.
The architectural style of the stone and brick façades is in keeping with the classicist and historicist eclectic trends and neo movements of the age. Each façade is divided into three sections by pilasters and is ennobled by the building’s four turrets. The interior space is laid out around a central courtyard, as in a French “hotel particulier” or townhouse of the period. The rooms are distributed in 19th-century fashion: the private rooms on the mezzanine floor; and reception halls and rooms on the main floor. The areas used for domestic service such as kitchens, larders, coach houses, harness rooms, etc. are located on the lower ground floor. This floor is now the Temporary Exhibition Room and Events Room.
In accordance with French standards and the eclecticism of the age, the interior decoration of the mansion displays neo-baroque and rococo elements in an atmosphere of horror vacui that provides a backdrop to the works of art.
3,00 / 1,50 EUR.
Annual pass: 25,00 EUR.
Free admission: Saturday during the last opening hour and Sundays.