Oliveriano Archaeological Museum

 

in short

The Archeological Oliveriano Museum is made up of three large rooms with cross vaulted ceilings on the ground floor of the Palazzo Almerici (*17th and 18th centuries). It houses about 2600 finds, dating between the 8th century b.C. and the 7th century a.D.
Profilo di Palazzo Almerici
© Ente Olivieri
Logo: Oliveriano Archaeological Museum

Oliveriano Archaeological Museum

in detail

The museum occupies an area of 522,4 sqm on the ground floor. The right wing of the building is partially underground and its main hallway, which houses a statue of a Roman matron and marble bases with inscriptions, leads to three large rooms with cross vaulted ceilings.

The objects on display are about 2600. The first room houses various finds of the Roman age, predominately from the Olivieri collection: marble busts, vitreous bowls with graffitied and inscribed bottoms, a lararium puerile and a part of the numismatic collection. In the second room there are the discoveries made on the territory, especially worth noting the rare ones of the so-called Novilara civilization (8th- 6th century b.C.), included among these is the famous stela of the naumachia. The third room exhibits diverse sections that comprise both objects uncovered during excavations, as the finds of the Luco or Sacred Wood of Pesaro (dating between the 3rd century b.C. and the 1st century a.D.), as well as the bronze “tabula fabrorum”. Worthy of note are the epigraphs, which date back from the ancient Roman age to the Renaissance, and are inscribed in the walls of the courtyard and in the marble balustraded staircase of the palazzo, stones and marbles predominantly of local origin. As well as the votive stones and offerings found in the Lucus pisaurensis the sacred Roman wood identified by Olivieri himself in the middle of the 1700's. The documentation of material and artistic culture does not limit itself to the exhibitions rooms of the museum, but includes ivories, bronzes, gems, cameos, coins, medals and plaques, all visible in the frescoed room "of the Zodiac" in the library.

The library, which came to life together with the Museum in the middle of the 1700's thanks to the nobleman Annibale Olivieri, has benn accredited today with a patrimony of 360.000 printed texts, some dating back to the early 1400's. This collection includes 400 incunables, 2264 manuscripts, a diplomatic fund of a comparable number of scrolls, thousands of "fifteeners" and "sixteeners", maps, drawings and etchings and, naturally, a copious collection of modern and comtemprary works that most likely constitute the less known part of the Institue's body.
Oliveriano Archaeological Museum
Since the late 1800's, the archeological Museum, named after Annibale Olivieri, a nobleman from Pesaro, is located, along with the historical Library of Pesaro, in the Palazzo Almerici, later called Palazzo dell’Ateneo, situated in the heart of the city center (via Mazza 97).

Developed on three floors in different periods during the course of the XVIIth century, the first and second floors of the building are made up of numerous rooms, with richly ornate stuccowork and frescoed ceilings, that can be accessed by a marble balustraded grand staircase. The palazzo opens its doors through a majestic portal, most likely originating from another building, and from which a vast courtyard can be discerned. The back wall of this exterior space is embellished with a horizontal balcony that creates a striking scenographic effect.

Here, on an area of roughly 3500 square meters, various precious archeological, bibliographic, artistic and documentary collections (for example the historical city council archive) have been deposited and organized. Epigraphs can also be found in the courtyard and along the rampant arches of the staircase.
The museum on google maps:

keywords

Visitor entrance

Oliveriano Archaeological Museum
Mazza, 97
61121 Pesaro
Italy
view on a map

Opening Times

Sun
-
Mon
09:00 - 12:00
Tue
09:00 - 12:00
Wed
09:00 - 12:00
Thu
09:00 - 12:00
Fri
09:00 - 12:00
Sat
09:00 - 12:00
Throughout summer (july and august) the museum is open all days from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. except public holidays

euromuse.net - The exhibition portal for Europe