Art and archaeology museum of Maremma

 

in short

Art and archaeology museum of Maremma is becoming a treasure chest of art and it is the frame of exhibitions of national and international relevance.
Museo Archeologico e d'Arte della Maremma
© Museo Archeologico e d'Arte della Maremma
Logo: Art and archaeology museum of Maremma

Art and archaeology museum of Maremma

in detail

The story
Thanks to an ecclesiastic, Giovanni Chelli (born in Siena in 1809, dead in Grosseto in 1869), an intellectual and open-minded man, Grosseto museum was established. The very first nucleus of the museum was born accidentally when he started putting together some old objects in the library, which had been opened to public in March 1860 by Chelli himself. At the same time he had already started collecting archaeological finds on purpose. So the museum was born.
In 1923 another ecclesiastic held the office of director of Chelliana library , of civic museum and of a picture gallery. His name was Antonio Cappelli (born in 1868, dead in 1939). Firstly he moved to those premises which are still the official premises of the library (the museum shared the same structure until 1955). Archaeology was just one of Cappelli's many interests. While he was running the library, the museum and the picture gallery, he developed a deep interest in sacred art, therefore he opened a museum of sacred art in August 1933, using partly new and partly restored premises. Only in 1975 both museums shared the same structure, a late 19th century building located in Piazza Baccarini, which was previously occupied by the tribunal, opened that year during the National Conference of the Institute for Etruscan and Italic studies.
In January 1992, museum was closed again for restoring. It was reopened the 21st of May 1999, after renewal, enriched by new acquisitions from recent excavations.


SECTION 1: FIRST MUSEUM OF GROSSETO Collection of ecclesiastic Giovanni Chelli (room 1)
Museum first section is dedicated to all those finds which were originally contained in first civic museum of Grosseto. It is a group composed by extremely various objects, most of them bought by Chelli in Tuscany and Rome. A more substantial part of it is formed by Etruscan cinerary urns of Hellenistic Age, which come from Volterra and Chiusi. It was possible to recognize a group of urns dug out by Alessandro Francois in 1856 in "Il Colle" and "La Pellegrina", and taken to Grosseto by one of the most important antique dealers of 19th century, Federigo Sozzi
Furthermore there are pieces of pottery from Volterra, Volsinii-Orvieto- and many other objects from Chiusi, made with bucchero. Some of them were fake and badly painted; on the contrary some others were authentic pastiches compositions of old and modern elements arranged in a way that they looked genuine and organically structured. The most important piece of the collection is a bucchero bowl with the 6th century Etruscan alphabet written on. The first time it was mentioned was in 1875, but its provenance is still uncertain, perhaps Roselle or Southern Etruscan Area.


SECTION 2: ROSELLE (rooms 2-12)
The exhibition dedicated to Roselle is really important in the new mounting of Grosseto museum. History of the town shows its continuously changing features, depending on historical events, economy, town planning and custom. The exhibition starts with a relief map which shows how Roselle could fit in the area, with its big lake Prile , which does not exist anymore, and its rival town Vetulonia, which was located right opposite.
First four rooms (2-5) contain objects that date back to the period of time that goes from the foundation of Roselle to the whole Archaic Age. Finds originate from the oval fenced in building, from archaic houses and from a house with an impluvium (casa dell'impluvio). Votive works and handcrafted objects are also exhibited. Room n.4, which is dedicated to oldest necropolis, besides tomb-kits, also contain two big archaic funerary steles decorated with representations of warriors, one original and the other with a copperplate on, together with small memorial stones. Room n.5 is a particular room where are remains of terracotta decorations, arranged in a way that enables us to reconstruct the structure of some archaic buildings . Then there are few documents dating back to classical period (5th to 4th century), and Hellenistic Age, both of them coincide with the Roman conquest (294 B.C.) (Hellenistic house on the northern hill, first square of the forum and pieces of pottery).
Rooms n.9,10,11 are dedicated to Imperial Age in Roselle. It's worth mentioning the epigraphic part of museum with the exhibition of some Latin inscriptions, a choice of imperial amphorae for wine and oil and a lead pipe (fistula) with a mark on, as a proof that Romans made Roselle honorary colony. A small room is dedicated to a reconstruction of Adriano's thermal baths and to an exhibitions of all the original marble decorations
Room n.11 contains Roman statues given back by Roselle: on a side are those from complesso dell'Augusteo, on the other side those from a private basilica, commonly called "dei Bassi". Right in the middle of this room, there are portraits, small sculptures, fragments and finally a plastic model of the original forum and surrounding area.
Room n.13 is finally dedicated to Late Ancient Age, Christianity with tomb-kits from 6th and 7th century, and to abandonment of the town during Middle Ages up to our Contemporary Age. Some decorations of the church, dating back to Carolingian Age, are here exhibited.


SECTION N.3: ARCHAEOLOGY IN MAREMMA (rooms 13-23)
This section is dedicated to archaeology in Grosseto area (excluding Roselle) from Prehistory up to late Ancient Age. First room exhibits available documents from Palaeolithic to Iron Age, followed by an exhibition of Oriental-style objects, centred on Vetulonia and Marsiliana, where rich tomb-kits were found. Many documents from Archaic Age are available, some of them about commerce, together with Etruscan, Greek and Carthaginian amphorae and some stone stocks. It's worth mentioning tomb-kits of Pari-Casenovole, composed by a large bowl with red decorations, a club-shaped memorial stone and some bronze objects.
Two rooms are dedicated to Roman and Hellenistic Age (3rd to 1st century), concurrent in this area, to persisting Etruscan culture (language, writings, funerary objects) and to some innovations introduced by conquerors (votive art, rural settlements).
Furthermore Roman period gives the opportunity to discuss about over land transport and shipment. Apart from amphorae, there are reconstructions of road network, ports, and landing places. It's worth mentioning the African wreck from Giglio Porto, which has its own exhibition area, and finally some other pieces of wreckage from Castiglione della Pescaia . Late Ancient Age ends here.
Last room of section n.3 contains all those finds whose origin is chronologically and geographically uncertain. For this reason, they designed a specific area for all those finds that, even if valuable, could not be placed with other objects.


SECTION N.4: SACRED ART MUSEUM OF GROSSETO DIOCESE (rooms 24-34)
Diocesan museum is composed by different parts. First two floors of the building are entirely occupied by archaeological finds, whereas the rest of the structure is dedicated to sacred art. Diocesan museum is connected to archaeological museum since 1975, as a consequence of an agreement between bishop and town authorities. The exhibition is chronologically set and it contains private collection of the founder, Monsignor A.Cappelli, which is composed by works bought especially in Siena and surrounding area. It's worth mentioning many works of art, like two saints of a polyptych , presumably by Sano di Pietro and Maestro dell'Osservanza (half of 15th century), and Santa Cecilia, by Berardino Mei.
All the works of art taken from diocesan churches are valuable. They were mostly realized by Sienese artists, who were working for Grosseto at that time. It's worth mentioning Giudizio Finale (Last Judgement) (13th century), that was located in the church dedicated to San Leonardo, attributed to Guido da Siena or to his school, Cristo in Pieta' (Merciful Christ) by Pietro di Domenico (end of 15th century), la Madonna (Virgin Mary), by Girolamo di Benvenuto (beginning of 16th century), la Madonna delle Ciliege della Sassetta (half of 15th century) coming from the Cathedral dedicated San Lorenzo, fragments of sculpture decoration of the Cathedral itself, by Agostino di Giovanni (14th century), marble angels, by G.A. and B. Mazzuoli , 1708, which at first were part of the decorations of the altar dedicated to Madonna delle Grazie (Gracious Virgin Mary), dismantled during Duomo restoration at the end of 19th century. A big altarpiece by Giacinto Gimignani from Pistoia (1648), dedicated to Madonna del Carmine, originally comes from other altars, the Madonna con il Bambino (Virgin Mary with Child), and four patron saints of Grosseto, by Ilario Casolani (1630) with a view of the town within Medicean walls. Diocesan Museum also contain liturgical objects, vestments, illuminated manuscripts, all of them proving popular faith.


SECTION N.5 MEDIAEVAL ARCHAEOLOGY IN MAREMMA AND GROSSETO HISTORY (Rooms 35-40)
Last rooms of the museum are dedicated to the history of Grosseto. Finds that date back to Classical Age come from the excavations in Via Adige, and in Sterpeto and Rugginosa. Then there is a connection with Roselle during early Middle Ages, then graveyards of Grancia and Casette di Mota, and finally finds from Grosseto. The most extensive documentation largely refer to late Middle Ages and to Modern Age and is composed by those finds dug out during the Fortezza excavations. It's worth mentioning a Renaissance jug manufactured in Montelupo and found in Piazza Dante, and some finds coming from museum building. Moreover there is a small epigraphic part with coats of arms and inscriptions coming from town and thermal baths of Roselle. Lastly there are those rooms dedicated to Middle Ages and Modern Age archaeological finds, coming from different towns in Maremma, to pottery and earthenware. Other objects, like a Renaissance dish decorated with a life episode of Alexander the Great, some bowls for pharmacy (18th century) and finally five sketches of allegorical subjects and classical divinities, attributed to Mazzuoli family, Sienese sculptors (17th century-beginning of 18th century), donated to Museum in 1865, are exhibited.
Palazzo dell'ex Tribunale
Only in 1975 both museums shared the same structure, a late 19th century building located in Piazza Baccarini, which was previously occupied by the tribunal, opened that year during the National Conference of the Institute for Etruscan and Italic studies.

In January 1992, museum was closed again for restoring. It was reopened the 21st of May 1999, after renewal, enriched by new acquisitions from recent excavations.

Thanks to an ecclesiastic, Giovanni Chelli (born in Siena in 1809, dead in Grosseto in 1869), an intellectual and open-minded man, Grosseto museum was established. The very first nucleus of the museum was born accidentally when he started putting together some old objects in the library, which had been opened to public in March 1860 by Chelli himself. At the same time he had already started collecting archaeological finds on purpose. So the museum was born.

In 1923 another ecclesiastic held the office of director of Chelliana library , of civic museum and of a picture gallery. His name was Antonio Cappelli (born in 1868, dead in 1939). Firstly he moved to those premises which are still the official premises of the library (the museum shared the same structure until 1955). Archaeology was just one of Cappelli's many interests. While he was running the library, the museum and the picture gallery, he developed a deep interest in sacred art, therefore he opened a museum of sacred art in August 1933, using partly new and partly restored premises. Only in 1975 both museums shared the same structure, a late 19th century building located in Piazza Baccarini, which was previously occupied by the tribunal, opened that year during the National Conference of the Institute for Etruscan and Italic studies.

In January 1992, museum was closed again for restoring. It was reopened the 21st of May 1999, after renewal, enriched by new acquisitions from recent excavations.
Admission
Biglietto intero (Full price): 5 EUR | minori di 6 anni (under 6y) gratis (free) | ridotto (reduced) 2,50 EUR
The museum on google maps:

keywords

Visitor entrance

Palazzo dell'ex Tribunale
Palazzo del Vecchio Tribunale - Piazza Baccarini 3
58100 Grosseto
Italy
view on a map

Opening Times

Sun
09:00 - 18:00
Mon
-
Tue
09:00 - 13:00
Wed
09:00 - 13:00
Thu
09:00 - 13:00
Fri
09:00 - 13:00
Sat
09:00 - 18:00
01.01. - 28.02.: 9.00-13.00 /Sa & Su (sabato e domenica) 9.30-13.00, 16.00-18.00

01.03. - 30.04.: 9.30-13.00; 16.00-18.00

02.05. - 30.10.: 10.00-13.00; 17.00-20.00

Closed on Monday, December the 25th , January the 1st and May the 1st.
chiuso il lunedi, il 25 dicembre, il 1° gennaio, il 1° maggio.

euromuse.net - The exhibition portal for Europe