Luxembourg Museum

 

in short

The Musée du Luxembourg was the first French museum to be opened to the public, in 1750; and becomes in 1818 museum of contemporary art. After 2010, it favours three programmes with themes linked to its history: "The Renaissance in Europe", "Art and Power" and "Palace, Gardens and Museum: the Luxembourg in the heart of Paris, capital of the arts".
Musée du Luxembourg
© Nicolas Krief
Logo: Luxembourg Museum

Luxembourg Museum

in detail

At ist initial times, visitors could admire twenty-four paintings by Rubens celebrating Marie de Medici and around a hundred paintings from the Royal collection (Cabinet du Roi) by Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, Veronese, Titian, Poussin, Van Dyck and Rembrandt. After these works were transferred to the Louvre, the Musée du Luxembourg was designated in 1818 a "museum for living artists", or in other words, a museum of contemporary art. David, Ingres and Delacroix, among others, were exhibited there.

The first Impressionist exhibition to be held in a national museum took place here, thanks to the Caillebotte bequest, comprising works by Pissarro, Manet, Cézanne, Sisley, Monet, Renoir, etc. This collection is now in the Musée d’Orsay.

After ist re-opening in 1979, the Ministry of Culture organized exhibitions at the Musée du Luxembourg highlighting France’s regional heritage and collections from provincial museums, with the Senate retaining the right to oversee the programme and the use of the building.
The Musée du Luxembourg has since 2000 become one of the leading exhibition spaces in Paris, enabling its numerous visitors to enjoy the masterpieces of Botticelli, Raphaël, Titian, Arcimboldo, Veronese, Gauguin, Matisse, Vlaminck and Modigliani.
Luxembourg Museum
The Luxembourg Museum was initially housed in the Palais du Luxembourg that Marie de Medici had built between 1615 and 1630. Having assumed responsibility for the Luxembourg Palace and Gardens in 1879, the Senate had the current building constructed between 1884 and 1886. The Musée du Luxembourg was closed after a national museum of modern art was built in the Palais de Tokyo in 1937, and only reopened its doors to the public in 1979.

In 2000, the Senate decided to take full responsibility once more for the Musée du Luxembourg, in order to introduce an integrated cultural policy for the Palace, Gardens and Museum.

Although its primary objectives as a parliamentary assembly, are voting on legislation, monitoring government actions, evaluating public policy and financial forecasting, the Senate also has a duty to promote the heritage site for which it is responsible.

In 2010, the Senate delegated the running of the museum to the Public Establishment of the Réunion des Musées Nationaux and of the Grand Palais des Champs-Elysées (RMN-GP)
Admission
11,00 / 7,50 EUR
The museum on google maps:

keywords

Visitor entrance

Luxembourg Museum
19 rue de Vaugirard
75006 Paris
France
view on a map

Opening Times

Sun
10:00 - 19:30
Mon
10:00 - 22:00
Tue
10:00 - 19:30
Wed
10:00 - 19:30
Thu
10:00 - 19:30
Fri
10:00 - 22:00
Sat
10:00 - 19:30
The museum closes on Dec.24th and 31th at 6pm and it remains closed on Dec. 25th.

euromuse.net - The exhibition portal for Europe