Although the origins of the royal dwelling at Compiègne are bound up with the early history of the French monarchy, it was in 1751, during the reign of Louis XV, that the château in its present form was built, to the plans of Ange-Jacques Gabriel.
The year 1856 marked the beginning of the ‘Compiègnes’, when the court took up residence in the imperial palace for a month or a month-and-a-half in the autumn, and the ‘series’, when Napoleon III and the Empress Eugenia invited a hundred guests for a week of entertainment. These events were held until 1869 and were the justification for opening a museum dedicated, in 1927, to the Second Empire.
The château also houses an Automobile and Touring Museum, which has a significant collection of horse-drawn carriages and cars from the earliest years of automobile transport until the First World War.
The museum on google maps: