The foundation of the collection seen today in the Dresden Coin Cabinet was laid in the early 16th century by Georg der Bärtige ('the Bearded'), Duke of Saxony. Hence, the collection is among the oldest of its kind in Germany. Well into the 18th century its development was largely determined by the orders placed by Saxony's ruling dynasty.
This permanent exhibition in the Albertinum traces the history of Graeco-Roman and German coinage from early Greek specimens to the last Talers of 1871/72. A selection of medallions from the 16th, 17th and 18th century, embellished medals and Saxon state medals from the Baroque period give some idea of the wealth and diversity of the objects assembled in the Coin Cabinet. The collection also includes bank notes, orders and decorations, dies and minting devices among its 270,000 objects, all of which can be viewed by interested visitors in the study in the Güntzstrasse building (by appointment only).
Royal Palace (New Green Vault, Armoury at the New Giant's Hall, Turkish Chamber, Collection of Prints, Drawings and Photographs, Hausmannsturm and current special exhibitions): 10,00/ 7,50 EUR/ 0-16y free | Historic Green Vault: 12,00 EUR, incl. Audioguide/ 0-16y free | Combined ticket (Royal Palace and Historic Green Vault): 19,50 EUR
The museum on google maps: