The architects Martin Gropius and Heino Schmieden originally built the house in the Renaissance style as an arts and crafts museum. It was ceremoniously opened in 1881.
After the First World War the Museum for Pre- and Early History and the Collection of East Asian Art moved into the building, while the the arts and crafts collections were transferred to the Berlin-Palace.
The building was severely damaged in 1945 during the last weeks of the Second World War. It wasn’t until 1966 that it was classified as a historical monument. Reconstruction began in 1978 under the direction of the architects Winnetou Kampmann and Ute Westström. The house was named after Martin Gropius, a great-uncle of Walter Gropius, who had strongly urged that the museum be rebuilt.
Since its restoration in the 1970s the Martin-Gropius-Bau has become one of the most famous and most beautiful exhibition halls in Germany. Many temporary exhibitions of international scope are on show here, attracting millions of visitors.
The house was further restored in 1999/2000 with funding from the federal government. Air-conditioning was installed and the north entrance was redesigned as the main entrance. The architectural office of Hilmer & Sattler & Albrecht was in charge of the reconstruction.
In 1881, the Martin-Gropius Bau was opened as the Museum of Applied Art. The building was destroyed in the Second World War, but was rebuilt in 1978. Today it is one of the more important exhibition houses in Germany.
The building, opened in 1881 as the Museum of Applied Art, was designed by the architects Martin Gropius and Heino Schmieden in the style of the Renaissance.
After the First World War the Museum for Pre- and Early History and the Collection of East Asian Art were also moved into the building.
In 1945, in the last weeks of the Second World War, the building was destroyed. In 1966, the building was protected as a monument, and, in 1978, the rebuilding started under the direction of the architects Winnetou Kampmann and Ute Westström. The building was renamed, because of the involvement of Martin Gropius, a great grandson of Walter Gropius, in the rebuilding.
After this restoration, the Martin-Gropius Bau became one of the more famous exhibitions halls in Germany. Many temporary exhibitions of international scope were shown here, and millions of visitors came to the building.
In 1999/2000 the building was again rebuilt with the support of the German government. The architects were Hilmer & Sattler & Albrecht; the northern entrance is once again the main facade.
The museum on google maps: