The MACRO - Rome's Museum of Contemporary Art - came into existence due to the reorganisation of the structures on the Capitoline devoted to the promotion of contemporary art. It is spread over two sites. The first is the old Peroni factory, which, until 1971, was in active production for the Peroni Beer Society . It was designed at the beginning of the twentieth century by Gustavo Giovannoni and is one of the few examples of industrial archaeology in the capital.
The first phase of the reconstruction and conversion of the site finished in 1999. It involved the recovery of the main building, which is composed of two parallel factory units, connected by a construction which corresponds to the front facade. The work was finished as part of Odile Decq's Sensual Territories project, following an international competition held by the Municipality of Rome in 2000. The other site is split across two pavilions in the building complex of the old slaughterhouse in Testaccio, which was built between 1888 and 1891 to a design by the architect Gioacchino Erosch.
Once a large industrial complex built at the beginning of the 20th century, MACRO’s main site is now a dynamic centre of cultural activity.
The first phase of conversion was completed in September of 1999 and saw the opening of six large exhibition halls, a media library, library, conference hall, art studio, bookstore and café.
The site is also home to MACRO’s permanent collection and administrative offices.
Open to the public all year and six days a week, MACRO’s main site is a point of reference for Rome’s contemporary art community.