The sculpture collection of the Städtische Galerie of Frankfurt was opened in 1909 as a complement to the already existing painting collection in the Städel Museum. "To illustrate the development of sculpture throughout the eras of history by collecting outstanding or characteristic works” was the aim founding director Georg Swarzenski associated with the establishment of a collection to be devoted exclusively to sculpture.
Unlike museums which have grown out of the royalty’s passion for collecting, the Liebieghaus Skulpturensammlung is a remarkable result of municipal and civil commitment. As early as the beginning of the twentieth century, it proved possible to acquire numerous outstanding works for the museum within a few short years. Prominent sculptures from other municipal museums of Frankfurt as well as various private collections were likewise thus brought together. The museum accordingly reflects collection activities pursued on an ongoing basis on the very highest level of quality.
The dedication of the citizens of Frankfurt – expressed in very special manner in donations to the collection – is of fundamental importance for the museum’s self-conception, and continues to play a major role to the very present.
7,00/5,00 EUR/0-11y free of charge
The museum on google maps: