Lahti City Museum collects, maintains and exhibits cultural historical, natural historical and art collections deposited in it. The special fields of the museum are applied graphics, winter sports, radio and TV, furniture and military medicine. The City Museum acts as an expert in defining the cultural historical and architectural value of buildings and built environment as well as in issues related with archeology in the Päijät-Häme district. The core activity of the City Museum is to preserve and promote the identity of Lahti and its inhabitants.
The units of Lahti City Museum are Lahti Historical Museum, Lahti Art Museum, Poster Museum, Ski Museum, Radio and TV Museum, the Museum of Military Medicine and Picture Archives. The financial administration office of the museum is located at Vuorikatu 27.
Lahti Historical Museum is also the regional museum of the Päijät-Häme district and Lahti Art Museum is a regional art museum in the Päijät-Häme district.
Lahti Historical Museum
Ski Museum is situated near the three worldf amous three Ski-jumps on the Salpausselkä Ridges.
Ski exhibitions have been arranged in Lahti since 1926. In 1959 the Veteran Section of the Lahti Ski Club proposed the board of directors of the club that a Ski Museum be established and started collecting exhibits.
During the 70's the City of Lahti favoured the project and the Ski Museum was founded 1974. The first permanent exhibition, depicting the Lahti Ski Club and the history of Salpausselkä Winter Games, was displaying in the old sauna building of the Lahti Ski Club, situated in the Sports Centre during the years 1978-88. The present museum building, standing in the middle of the sports centrer, was opened on the 1st of November in 1989.
There is a chairlift next to the summertime swimming pool offering access to the foot of the biggest ski jump from where you can get to the top by elevator. The top of the ski jump and the chairlift are open for the public daily in the summertime. The top of the ski jump is also open in the winter by order.
special exhibitions 10/5 EUR
Radio and TV Museum
Lahti Historical Museum is situated in the former main building of Lahti manor house. The building was designed by architect Hjalmar Åberg (1870-1935) and built during the years 1897-1898. The manor was in the ownership of Captain and Court Counsellor August Fellman and his family until the year 1919, when the town of Lahti gained possession of the manor. The town has used the main building to a variety of purposes. It has hosted schools and has been part of a military hospital during the war. In the mid 1960s Lahti historical museum became its new master.
The purpose of the Historical Museum is to collect, document, research, exhibit and publish historical, cultural-historical and ethnological material and oral tradition in its own area. The museum operates as the provincial museum of the Päijät-Häme region.
The latest renovation work of the manor house was carried out during the years 2001-2004, and the museum was re-opened to the public in the spring of 2005. Special exhibitions are situated at the first and third floor of the museum. The second floor hosts the permanent exhibition of the Klaus Holma Memorial Collection.
The Radio and TV Museum is situated on the beautiful Radio hill area in Lahti, which is a vibrant lakeside city admist the Salpausselkä ridge landscape in southern Finland.
As the national museum of broadcasting, the task of the Radio and TV Museum in Lahti is to collect, research and exhibit artefacts and traditions connected with broadcasting.
special exhibitions 10/5 EUR
The museum on google maps: