The aim of the Museum for Photography is to bring together the many different aspects of the photography found in the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (National Museums in Berlin) in one single exhibition, research and documentation centre. From summer 2004, the premises will be re-build in serveral stages. In addition to exhibition galleries and archives, there will be a study and reading room with reference library, a restoration workshop and a education section with a photographic laboratory for demonstration purposes.
The Helmut Newton Foundation was founded in 2003 by Helmut Newton himself. It is constituted as a foundation under Swiss law based in Zurich. The foundation’s aim is the conservation, protection and presentation of the photographic oeuvre of Helmut Newton and his wife June. June Newton, who worked from 1970 onwards under the name of Alice Springs, was a prominent portraitist in her own right. On establishing the foundation, Helmut Newton transferred the ownership of a large number of photographic prints to it. These represent an essential part of his life’s artistic achievements. In October 2003, the Helmut Newton Foundation and the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz (Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation) entered into a contract under which it was agreed that the Helmut Newton Foundation was to move into the former Landwehrkasino in Berlin Charlottenburg, with the ground floor and the first floor made permanently available as exhibition space. According to the wish of Helmut Newton (who died in January 2004) the foundation in Berlin, his home city, was to be no 'dead museum' but a 'lively institution'. His multi-faceted, innovative and often provocative work is being presented in a series of alternating exhibitions. The future exhibition programme at the Helmut Newton Foundation will also include shows on other artists and photographers, allowing their work to enter into a dialogue with Newton’s.
Museum for Photography
The building in 2 Jebensstraße opposite the Bahnhof Zoologischer Garten was built between 1908 and 1909 following the architectural plans of Heino Schmieden and Julius Boethke. On the 2nd September 1909 it was officially opened in the presence of Emperor William II of Germany. The neoclassicist building originally served as casino of the 'Offizierscorps der Landwehr-Inspektion Berlin e.V.' (officers of the territorial reserve Berlin). It contained several banqueting halls, guest rooms, a restaurant and even bowling alleys and a shooting range.
The building’s sober exterior contrasted with the splendid interior decoration, the contemporary taste of the era: colourful wall and ceiling paintings in the style of Pompeii, antique pilaster arrangements, art nouveau ornaments; tubular lamps and indirect lighting lend a modern day touch. The most imposing room was the Kaisersaal (emperor’s hall) on the second floor, a barrel-vaulted banqueting hall with an area of 665 square metres and more than 11 metres in height. The Kaisersaal was altered several times, occasionally used as a theatre and finally, during the second world war, it was largely destroyed.
In 1950, the Berlin Senate acquired the damaged building and gave it to the Art Library and the as yet un-housed Gallery of the 20th Century, which later formed the basis for the New National Gallery. In 1954, both institutions moved into the Jebensstraße premises. From 1978 to 1986, the Berlinische Galerie also exhibited in the building. Since 1993, when the Art Library moved to the new building of the cultural forum at Potsdamer Platz, the building has been used as depot and workshop by the Museum Europäischer Kulturen (Museum of European Cultures) and the Alte Nationalgalerie (Old National Gallery).
Since its second large-scale conversion by the Berlin architectural office of Kahlfeldt in 2003/04, the building has housed two institutions: the Helmut Newton Foundation and the Museum for Photography. Linking both together under a public-private partnership, the newly created photo museum is the first of its kind in Berlin. Until renovations are complete, the impressive Kaisersaal ruin with its raw brick walls and visible roof-truss will house various contemporary photographic exhibitions.
Standard: 10,00 EUR / Reduced: 5,00 EUR
Area Ticket: 12,00 EUR / 6,00 EUR
The museum on google maps: