In 1960, the collection that now makes up the Modern Masters Gallery was separated from the Old Masters Picture Gallery and established as an independent museum. Its 2,500 works dating from the 19th and 20th century are now displayed in the Albertinum. Among its treasures are not only major works by German Romantic painters such as Caspar David Friedrich, Carl Gustav Carus and Ludwig Richter, but also the outstanding collection of works by the likes of Lovis Corinth, Max Slevogt and Max Liebermann.
The history of this museum of modern art is closely associated with the name of the Saxon minister of state Bernhard von Lindenau (1779-1854). Upon his retirement from public service in 1843, he provided significant funds for the purchase of contemporary paintings. On the basis of this tradition, the museum continues to collect 20th-century paintings, with particular emphasis on works by contemporary artists, developing the museum into a gallery of the international avantgarde.
10,00 / 7,50 EUR/0-16y free
The museum on google maps: