The Ethnographic museum was founded in 1931 as part of the State museum. the first folk costumes and embroidery collections were donated by Jelka miš (1875-1956), a school teacher and embroidery teacher. The museum holdings consist of around 6,500 items belonging to the ethnographic heritage of the Dubrovnik region, the Croatian people, and the peoples of neighbouring countries.
What stands out in particular are the collections of folk costumes from the Dubrovnik Littoral and the elaphite islands, Konavle, the islands of mljet, Lastovo, and Korčula, the Pelješac peninsula, the rijeka dubrovačka inlet, and Župa dubrovačka valley.
The old wheat storage holes can be seen on the ground floor, which serve to show how grain was stored during its use. The permanent exhibition of the museum is located on the first and second floor.
The permanent exhibition of the ethnographic museum presents the traditional economy, architecture, and interiors of the area surrounding Dubrovnik through artefacts and photographs. Festive folk costumes are on display, some of which are unique specimens from the 19th century that refl ect the variety of textile handicrafts in the Dubrovnik region. Exceptional specimens of the once famous Dubrovnik lace, Konavle silk embroidery, and traditional jewellery provide a living image of this rich legacy.
The intangible cultural heritage of the Dubrovnik region is illustrated by photographs showing its folklore and customs, and by traditional musical instruments.
The museum is located in the former 16th century granary of the Dubrovnik republic. Rupe, the popular name for the museum, originates from the name used for underground granaries (Lat. fossae – holes) carved out of solid rock or travertine. The construction of this facility lasted from 1548 to 1590. The granary had three floors. Fifteen storage holes were dug in the ground floor, while the higher floors were used for drying wheat. the catastrophic earthquake that hit Dubrovnik in 1667 caused signifi cant damage to the granary. After the renovation, it was turned into the two-storey building that houses the museum today.
Permanent museum exhibitions and archaeological exhibitions:
Adults 9,50 EUR, pupils and students 3,50 EUR
The museum on google maps: