Deichtorhallen Hamburg is one of Europe’s largest exhibition center for contemporary art and photography. The two historical buildings dating from 1911-13 are real eye-catchers, with their open steel-and-glass structures. It is an architecture that today creates the backdrop for spectacular major international shows. Since 2011, the two buildings at the interface of Hamburg’s Art Mile and Hafencity have been supplemented by a satellite in Hamburg’s Harburg district, the Sammlung Falckenberg.
Körber-Stiftung gifted the restored Deichtorhallen to the City of Hamburg, which has owned them ever since. In 1989, they were assigned to a limited liability company: Deichtorhallen-Ausstellungs GmbH. On Nov. 9, 1989 Deichtorhallen’s international art exhibition program opened with the show “Einleuchten”, curated by Harald Szeemann. Down through the years, Deichtorhallen Hamburg has emerged as an exhibition center for photography and contemporary art with three pillars of activities, three institutions under the single Deichtorhallen brand. Since 2009 Dr. Dirk Luckow has been Artistic Director of Deichtorhallen Hamburg.
A design shop, a specialist photography book store and the multi-award winning restaurant “Fillet of Soul” round out the Deichtorhallen offerings. Located at the interface of the Art Mile and Hafencity, it offers an ideal launch pad for cultural undertakings.
Deichtorhallen Hamburg - Falckenberg Collection
Between 1911 und 1914, Deichtorhallen were built as market halls on the grounds of the former “Berliner Bahnhof”, Hamburg’s counterpart to Berlin’s “Hamburger Bahnhof”. They constitute one of the few surviving examples of industrial architecture from the transitional period between Art Nouveau and 20th-century styles. The two halls are open steel structures, the northern hall is a longitudinal edifice boasting three naves and a 3,800 sq.m. footprint; the southern hall (1,800 sq.m.) is a building with a lantern roof. Rupprecht Matthies created two “language cylinders” visitors can walk through for Deichtorplatz – which is also home to a Richard Serra sculpture. In the northern hall, there is a line of neon writing by Mario Merz and a “Blue Disc” by Imi Knoebel.
9,00 EUR / Ermäßigt (reduced): 6,00 EUR
Since 2001, the Falckenberg Collection has been based at Phoenix-Hallen in Hamburg’s Harburg district. In 2007, Harald Falckenberg acquired one of the buildings and had Berlin-based architect Roger Bundschuh convert it into a spacious exhibition hall for his collection. The new hall opened on May 30, 2008 and by 2010 had hosted 28 exhibitions, featuring artists such as Paul Thek, Jon Kessler and Robert Wilson, not to mention themed shows and presentations of the collection. The expansive rooms mean that the hall is predestined for shows of larger-size installations and multimedia projects by artists such as John Bock, General Idea, Thomas Hirschhorn, Mike Kelley, Jon Kessler, Jonathan Meese, and Gregor Schneider.
Since January 2011 the Phoenixhalle has come under the organizational umbrella of Deichtorhallen Hamburg GmbH and is now operated under the name of “Deichtorhallen Hamburg – Sammlung Falckenberg”. Under the aegis of Artistic Director Dr. Dirk Luckow the tried-and-true exhibition policy for the Falckenberg Collection will be continued and supplemented to include new aspects, too.
15,00 EUR / Ermäßigt (reduced): 12,00 EUR
The museum on google maps: