Ca’ Rezzonico - Museum of the 18th century Venice

 

in short

The monumental Palazzo Rezzonico is home to this museum, which offers insight into 18th century. Alongside precious furnishings and decorations, it hosts major paintings by Venetian artists, such as Giambattista Tiepolo, Canaletto and Francesco Guardi.
Ca’ Rezzonico – Museo del Settecento veneziano
© Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia
Logo: Ca’ Rezzonico - Museum of the 18th century Venice

Ca’ Rezzonico - Museum of the 18th century Venice

in detail

The quality of the numerous works exhibited, together with the extraordinary architecture and setting, made Ca’ Rezzonico a veritable temple of the Venetian 18th century. The visit to the museum collection begins at Giorgio Massari’s large ceremonial staircase on the side of the palace opposite to the Grand Canal. On the first floor, eleven rooms exhibit paintings, sculptures, frescoed ceilings, and collections of 18th century furnishings. The second floor opens with a long central hall typical of Venetian palaces in which there are two early works by Canaletto; the rooms dedicated to the work of Pietro Longhi and the Giandomenico Tieopolo frescoes originally on the walls of Villa Zianigo are not to be missed. The third floor contains not only the three rooms of an old pharmacy, but also the noteworthy collection of paintings bequeathed by Egidio Martini. Finally, the Browning Mezzanine, which houses the Mestrovich Collection, including works by artists such as Jacopo Tintoretto and Bonifacio de’ Pitati.
Ca' Rezzonico
This magnificent palace, now museum of 18th century Venice, was designed by the greatest Baroque architect of the city, Baldassare Longhena for the aristocratic Bon family, and works began in 1649. Giambattista Rezzonico, merchant and banker, bought the palace in 1751 and appointed Giorgio Massari, one of the most highly esteemed and eclectic artists of the day, to complete the works, which proceeded rapidly and in 1756 the building was finished. While the magnificent facade on the Grand Canal and the second floor followed Longhena’s original project, Massari was responsible for the audacious inventions towards the rear of the palace: the sumptuous land-entrance, the ceremonial staircase and the unusual grandiose ballroom obtained by eliminating the second floor in this portion of the building. As soon as the building was completed, the most important painters in Venice were called upon to decorate it: Giambattista Crosato, who painted the frescoes in the ballroom together with the trompe l’oeil painter Pietro Visconti; Giambattista Tiepolo, who painted two ceilings in celebration of the marriage between Ludovico Rezzonico and Faustina Savorgnan; the young Jacopo Guarana and Gaspare Diziani. The building was fully complete by 1758, when Giambattista Rezzonico’s younger brother, Carlo, Bishop of Padua, was elected Pope under the name Clement XIII
Admission
Full price: 10,00 eur. Reduced: 7,50 eur. School offer: 4,00 eur
The museum on google maps:

keywords

Visitor entrance

Ca' Rezzonico
Dorsoduro 3136, Venezia
30123 Venice
Italy
view on a map

Opening Times

Sun
10:00 - 18:00
Mon
10:00 - 18:00
Tue
-
Wed
10:00 - 18:00
Thu
10:00 - 18:00
Fri
10:00 - 18:00
Sat
10:00 - 18:00
From April 1st to October 31st 10am – 6pm (ticket office 10am – 5pm). From November 1st to March 31st 10am – 5pm (ticket office 10am – 4pm). Closed on Tuesdays, December 25th, January 1st and May 1st.

euromuse.net - The exhibition portal for Europe