The Museum contains important 19th and 20th century paintings and sculptures, including masterpieces by Klimt, Chagall, Kandinsky, Klee and Moore, as well as a rich selection of works by Italian artists and an important section on graphic art.
The Museum contains important nineteenth- and twentieth-century collections of paintings and sculptures, providing an enlightening introduction to a crucial period in Art History.
The tour starts with a room devoted to Venetian painting of the second half of the 19th century, with works created by Guglielmo Ciardi, Giacomo Favretto, Pietro Fragiacomo, Mario De Maria, Luigi Nono. The central hall, the grand portego, contains works from the very first Biennale Exhibitions of Venice up to the 1950s. One room on the Canal Grande side is devoted to the valuable donation of the sculptures of Adolfo Wildt, offered in 1990 by the Wildt-Scheiwiller heirs. Another great donation, the De Lisi bequestcomplete the selection of foreign artists displayed in the Museum, with works created by Tanguy, Brauner, Matta Echaurren, Mirò and Kandinsky. Also, there are works by “Ca’ Pesaro Artists”, a term applied to artists who exhibited at Ca’ Pesaro in the first season of the Bevilacqua La Masa exhibitions, such as Ugo Valeri, Martini, Boccioni, Gino Rossi and Umberto Moggioli. The tour ends with the new tendencies in Italian Art in the period after World War II; works range from De Pisis, Afro, Vedova, Cassinari and Basaldella, to Bacci, Tancredi, Deluigi, Gianquinto and Basaglia.
Finally, Room 10 is a small gallery inside the museum, houses, in rotation, unpublished works, young artists’ experiments, and works on video art and videography.
The grandiose palace, now seat of the Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Moderna, was built in the second half of the seventeenth century for the noble and wealthy Pesaro family, a project by the greatest Venetian baroque architect, Baldassarre Longhena, who also designed the church of the Salute and Ca’ Rezzonico. Works began in 1659 starting from the landside; the courtyard, with its striking loggias, was completed by 1676; the splendid facade on the Grand Canal had already reached the second floor by 1679, but, on Longhena’s death in 1682, the palace was still unfinished. The Pesaro family entrusted its completion to Gian Antonio Gaspari who concluded it in 1710, in compliance with the original project. Longhena was inspired by Sansovinian classicism when designing Ca’ Pesaro, as seen in the Grand Canal façade, with its complex and powerful composition, yet well-balanced. The Sansovinian motif is more explicit on the first floor, with the insistent chiaroscuro rhythm of the deep-set arches and protruding columns. On the second floor, designed by Antonio Gaspari, the facade is enriched by ornamentation in the pendentives and the entablatures. No less regal is the vast entrance-hall, finely laid out along the axis of the entire building, spacious and well-defined, its half-light contrasting with the luminous clarity of the courtyard, articulated around the monumental well, and enclosed by a terrace and an ashlar-arcade, marked out by doric pilaster-strips, and overlooked by the upper storeys with their architrave-windows. The palace still conserves some of the fresco and oil decorations of the ceilings, the work of artists such as Bambini, Pittoni, Crosato, Trevisani and Brusaferro
Admission Full price: 10,00 eur. Reduced: 7,50 eur. School Offer: 4,00 eur. Ticket includes the visit to the Oriental Art Museum in Venice
From April 1st to October 31st: 10 am – 6 pm (ticket office 10 am – 5 pm). From November 1st to March 31st: 10 am – 5 pm (ticket office 10 am – 4 pm). Closed on Mondays, December 25th, January 1st and May 1st