Our Basic Law

permanent exhibition

in short

The "Basic Law" is conceived as the Constitution for Western Germany in 1948/49. It is drafted by the Parliamentary Council at the Pedagogical Academy in Bonn. The Federal Council meets in the very same building from 1949 to 2000.
The exhibition at the historical site presents the men and women involved in creating the Basic Law as well as its further development until 1990.
Poster of the exhibition "Our Basic Law".
© Stiftung Haus der Geschichte

Visitor entrance

Bundesrat
Platz der Vereinten Nationen 9
53113 Bonn
Germany 

Detailed information about the museum on euromuse.net

Haus der Geschichte

in detail

The Parliamentary Council adopts the Basic Law on 8 May 1949. Following its signature on 23 May 1949, the Constitution enters into force the following day. The exhibition "Our Basic Law" tells the story of the historic site as the place where the German constitution was conceived, adopted and announced.

In 1948, the Victorious Powers USA, Great Britain and France task the Minister-Presidents in the Western zones of occupation with creating a Constitution for West Germany. The Parliamentary Council performs this tasks in nine month time. It has 65 members and five Berlin delegates with an advisory status – a sign that the Council regards itself as representing the entire German people.

The Basic Law proves its worth especially in 1990 as a forward-looking and living Constitution. Having formed the legal basis for unification, it is then dropped from the Preamble as a national goal.

Germany is a federal state comprised of the Federal Government and 16 Länder, which have their own competencies. The Federal Council is a constitutional body and represents the interests of the Länder. Therefor, the exhibition illustrates its function and assignments, too.



The exhibition venue on google maps:

keywords

history, pet, war, germany, federal republic of germany, german history, federal council, constitution, basic law, federalism

Opening Times

Sun
-
Mon
-
Tue
-
Wed
-
Thu
-
Fri
-
Sat
-
Besichtigungen sind nur im Rahmen von Begleitungen möglich. Bitte melden Sie sich für einen Gruppenbesuch vorab bei unserem Besucherdienst an, Tel.: (02 28) 91 65-400, Mo - Fr von 9:00 bis 16:00 Uhr. Einzelbesucher können ohne Voranmeldung an den öffentlichen Begleitungen sonntags um 13.00 Uhr teilnehmen (Treffpunkt ist der Infoschalter im Foyer im Haus der Geschichte).

euromuse.net - The exhibition portal for Europe