Paintings are the property of the nearby Carthusian monastery at Pleterje. When the maintenance and protection of the works of art became too heavy a burden for the monastery, Prior Janez Drolc, who wanted the works to be seen by the general public, suggested that the collection be transferred to the Božidar Jakac Gallery. The paintings were brought to Slovenia in 1904 by the monks of the Bosserville monastery in Alsace (Emperor Franz Joseph offered the monks refuge at Pleterje after all the religious orders in France were dissolved in 1902). Because of the lack of archive sources, information about the paintings is very scarce and the works of art have not yet been fully researched. Experts ascribe them to Flemish, French, Italian and German masters. The exhibition consists of 44 oil paintings with mainly religious themes, two scenes of cavalry battles and two landscapes. The exhibition has been on view since 1977 and was redesigned in 1992.
adults 3,00 EUR, children and students 1,50 EUR, family ticket 5,00 EUR, temporary exhibitions 2,00 EUR
ICOM, SUZD and SMD card-holders, journalists and artists
The exhibition venue on google maps: