18th century in Narva witnessed the departure of citizens into the inner cities of Russia, following the instructions of Peter the Great; regular work on fortifying Narva castle, business of the port of Narva, prosperity of handicraft industry, the appearing of new factories, the plan of Narva development, accepted by Catherine II.
Narva became a large industrial centre due to the industrial revolution. There were cloth and flax-mill factories and the biggest one - Krenholm manufactory (more than 4000 workers in 1879) in the area of waterfalls. The iron foundry, two metal-working plants, timber mill and vodka distillery appeared within the boundary of the town. Opening of the Baltic railway in 1870 was a powerful incentive to the development of the industry and commerce in Narva.
After the Crimean War in 1853-1856 Narva castle lost its military significance. According to the decree of the tsar, it was abolished. The process of deconstruction of the defensive installations by the town authorities began in 1870-1880.
Towards the beginning of 20th century, the territory of Narva was about 823.8 hectares. In 1863, the population neared six thousand, while in 1910 it increased up to twenty one and a half thousand. The total number of houses within Narva town's boundary was 1258 including 223 stone houses and 1035 wooden ones in 1905.
The exhibition venue on google maps: