Although this is a typology well identified in Romagna and elsewhere, have been found in Santarcangelo a large group of lamps, which are characterized by their technical and decorative specificity. The types are referable to forms of imitation of african lamps that, since late Roman Empire and then up to the 6th-7th century AD, spread with extraordinary success all over the Mediterranean. The Santarcangelo's specimens were made as double-valve matrix, one for the top and one for the bottom, with decoration on the shoulder and on the disc, very stylized and inspired by contemporary African production.
"Madonna and Child with Saints Francis and George" by Luca Longhi, come from the Church of St. Francis, founded in the 13th century outside the city walls, on the ancient Via Emilia and on the limit of the markets and fairs area and finally abolished in 1862. The painting is from 1531, signed and dated lower left, the right hand is depicted in full armor, and kneeling, the client Zampeschi Antonello, who had Santarcangelo as feud from 1530 to 1534. Always at the bottom but at the center, there is the emblem of Zampeschi. However more recently is "Madonna and Child" by Guido Cagnacci, painted in 1625. It's a work of particular importance, because is a rare early painting that reflects the strong renewal of religious images requested by the Council of Trent for the impulse of laical brotherhood and new religious orders.
The exhibition venue on google maps: