Narva origins from the setting of Narvia, first mentioned in the written sources in 1240 ("Liber Census Daniae"). At that time Northern Estonia was controlled by Denmark.
Perhaps the construction of Narva castle took place between 1268 and 1277 during Eric Clipping reign. In all probability, Narva got the first municipal law and the emblem in the first quarter of the 14th century and king Voldemar the Fourth confirmed and increased its rights as a town in 1345.
Northern Estonia came into possession of Livonian Order in 1347. Just during its authority Narva castle construction had finished, and Narva became one of its forburgs (a part of a fortress situated in front of it and usually separated from the other buildings by defense walls). Profitable geographical position at the intersection of trade routes from West Europe to Russia served the town development well.
Trade was one of the main kinds of citizens' work. Fishing was also an important source of income. Besides that Narva people were occupied with different mechanical arts and agriculture.
There were 40-50 houses in Narva by the 16th century. Population neared 500-800 people; 20% of them were german, others - vazhane (the group of Russians in 14th-16th centuries named themselves according to the geographical position; they lived near the Northern Russia rivers), estonians and russians.
The Livonian War began in 1558. Ivan the Terrible's forces captured the town on 11th May. Narva became the main sea harbour of Russian State. This event had a great inpact on town development. Narva turned into a crowded town.
The number of inhabitants was approx. 5000 people by 1570. The Swedish army under Pontus de la Hardy command captured the town on 6th September of 1581. The invaders murdered almost all civil population. King John the Third declared Narva to be a Swedish town, thus initiating a new stage in the history of the town.
In the exhibition room, named "Narva in 13th-16th centuries", artisans' articles, Narva symbolism, and armament samples are being exposed.
The exhibition venue on google maps: